NVIDIA’s Next Generation Mainstream GPU Will At Least Be Detailed In August

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA’s Next Generation Mainstream GPU Will At Least Be Detailed In August

Phoronix: NVIDIA’s Next Generation Mainstream GPU Will At Least Be Detailed In August

Rumors have been circulating that NVIDIA's "Turing" mainstream GPUs will launch this summer while it seems to be a bit more solidified now with a conference schedule pointing out NVIDIA's next-gen mainstream GPU...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

AMD better wake up and release a competitive alternative to even their next high-end chips at a considerably lower price, but also better performance and energetic efficiency.

The green monster is going to attack again. AMD might dominate videogame console market with the exception of Nintendo Switch (Tegra), but that may change and the PC market is bigger and this is going to grow exponentially too.

AMD isn't perfect at all, there are many practices I don't agree too: "Security" measures similar to Intel ME, binary blobs, no strong support to coreboot/libreboot, obscurity about the hardware documentation due to unresolved legal crap and abusing of "magical numbers" in the source code of their drivers, etc.

But if there's need to choose the lesser evil, I prefer AMD. It's a far from perfect choice, but we live in a far from perfect world too.

Fuck you, Nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
      AMD better wake up and release a competitive alternative to even their next high-end chips at a considerably lower price, but also better performance and energetic efficiency.
      And give me 10 million US dollars in cash. Never forget the 10 million US dollars in cash.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        And give me 10 million US dollars in cash. Never forget the 10 million US dollars in cash.
        I prefer 10 million EUR

Comment

That's going to get expensive as it scales up. How about a pony ?
          Test signature

Comment

I will continue to ignore nVidia products while there is no useful open-source driver for them.
            Even if that leaves me with currently only Intel iGPUs as a choice.

Comment

I would be happy with 40k EUR to buy me some place, you can keep the change to 10 million .

Comment

Finally something to put in my Razer Core.

Comment

I prefer 10million BTC

Comment

no strong support to coreboot/libreboot,
                    I would like to disagree on this point. For years, AMD released coreboot support for just about every platform. The problem is very few, if any, customers or users actually used coreboot. It was a lot of work for very little gain. We still support coreboot for specific platforms if customers need it.

obscurity about the hardware documentation due to unresolved legal crap and abusing of "magical numbers" in the source code of their drivers, etc.
                    Can you clarify this? I'm not really sure what you are talking about. With amdgpu, we release just about complete register headers for just about every part of the chip and we use those definitions and enums in the driver. There are very few, if any, magic numbers in the driver.

Comment

Working...
                    X