Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA HGX-2 HPC/AI Server Platform Offers 16 x V100 GPUs, 2 PFLOPS of Tensor Cores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

unapproved post for Michael_S above

Comment

Michael_S I meant underestimating, not overestimating. Many of the fields you mention aren't something you can casually retrain for in a few years.

And of course vBullettin decided that since it was a flagged post any edit even AFTER it was approved still make it disappear and require moderation again.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

I'm pretty sure you're overestimating the level of specialization needed.

Also, unless you can just teleport anywhere in the world at will, I strongly suggest to look at what is trending in your general area (city or nation).

For example in my city the industrial automation sector is very hungry and can't find enough programmers, is that on your list? No. Should it? Maybe.
        I currently do remote work. Once my kids are all past high school I'm open to moving to find work. That's ten years out, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
          I currently do remote work. Once my kids are all past high school I'm open to moving to find work. That's ten years out, though.
          see what I posted above (if you didn't already). https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...20#post1027520

I mean, ok, I'm a random guy telling you stuff over the Internet so I might very well be totally wrong and just trolling you, but I still think you are shooting a tad high with that list, also given your age. Maybe you're one of the few that actually can do it, or maybe not.

What I can tell you is that I've seen people migrate from PC programming to webdevelopment (and the reverse), and also to program industrial automation (PLC and the such), and it usually worked fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
            This is sort of off topic, but why not?
            First of all, thanks for asking this off topic question. I have asked similar questions to various people throughout my software development carrier.

The following is for those who are not aware: Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs) should be the most important aspects for a software developer, however depending on the company where other aspects like appearance, lifestyle, and opinion matters more than it should. Ethos, pathos, and most importantly logos needs to be balanced. Remote working is an awesome to avoid (even wasting time on an interview at) the bizarre places.

Knowledge and abilities are things that most qualified software developers already have "dealt with". Skill requires more resources (time, money, effort, and intelligence) to improve. It's trends are usually difficult to predict or evaluate hence the riskiness of the investment. I for example regret spending so much time improving various user interface skills. Another thing to note: Working as a contractor forces you to do an "in depth" consideration of your skill development, because you will typically finance it yourself as opposed to spending company time to develop newer skills.

I'm a software developer in my early 40s, and I enjoy my work (and really, really enjoy my paycheck). I figure in order to stay employable into my 60s I have to not only stay current with standard industry-wide trends but also develop skill with one of these new trends that look like a growth area.

The first area that seems like a growth opportunity is the one covered by this, GPU computing.

The second area is AI and Machine Learning, maybe in conjunction with GPU computing or maybe on its own.

The third area is robotics.

The fourth is quantum computing and quantum-resistant cryptography.

The fifth might be fully homomorphic encryption. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homomo...hic_encryption

...I'm a reasonably bright person, but there's a good chance I lack the brainpower to grasp the central concepts for the last two.
            AI/ML are probably the closest to what you are already familiar with, which indicates that you might enjoy it more and take less time to become proficient. Like others have said, it is very popular right now. Most universities cover it as part of 3rd/4th year programming related BSc and BEng courses. I can assure you it is not just used for research.

I wrote my own RC4 client/server implementation when I wanted to play WoW on my JavaME "smartphone". It worked, but I realized that cryptography was not my strong suit. I think it's the type of thing that if you are wondering about it, probably don't try it. I think it's very underrated and not something that the market wants (people don't understand it/cannot validate it).

PS: It's extremely helpful if you can get in touch with people from these various fields to get a more personal feedback to your desires/goals. It's funny though governments and banks in 2018 are still training people (with no programming experience) internally to learn COBOL. I'm in my late 20s, in the distant future some of us will have to complete against AI, so there's that too.

PPS: I typed a much longer/abstract reply when I initially read your question, but when I read it today I noticed it was jabbery. I saw 2 people get killed yesterday and still shaken up by it.

Comment

Working...
            X