X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peter Fodrek View Post
    Two possible ways.

GPU EFI (BIOS) update
    or update at boot by kernel. Just copy files on right place at file system andvuse correct kernel driver and kernel version
    These blobs aren't flashable as they aren't loaded by the video BIOS during initialization, the drivers load them at runtime while the OS starts up.

The video BIOS will initialize the GPU to the point where it can operate a screen with no acceleration, these blobs are to enable additional stuff on top of that.

It's not like CPU microcodes where you either use those from the CPU's ROM, or the ones from the board firmware, or the ones loaded by the OS, but you can't run the CPU at all if there is no microcode at all (a bit hard has the CPU has its own ROM with microcode, which just reiterates how critical microcode is). The GPU reaches a basic "working" state even without these blobs.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

How do i disable spectre V2 mitigation?
      Add following to the kernel cmdline: "nospectre_v2" OR "spectre_v2=off". See Documentation/admin-guide/kernel-parameters.txt in the kernel sources for more info.

Comment

Originally posted by puleglot View Post
        Add following to the kernel cmdline: "nospectre_v2" OR "spectre_v2=off". See Documentation/admin-guide/kernel-parameters.txt in the kernel sources for more info.
        This will disable kernel's spectre v2 mitigation, but if the newer microcodes are also doing their own mitigation you still need to be sure you aren't loading these newer microcodes, as the kernel has no control over that.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          This will disable kernel's spectre v2 mitigation, but if the newer microcodes are also doing their own mitigation you still need to be sure you aren't loading these newer microcodes, as the kernel has no control over that.
          No, new microcode just added IBPB instruction. IIUC it is not used if Spectre v2 mitigation is disabled:
          https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux...pu/bugs.c#n221

Comment

Originally posted by puleglot View Post
            No, new microcode just added IBPB instruction. IIUC it is not used if Spectre v2 mitigation is disabled:
            https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux...pu/bugs.c#n221
            Are you sure of that? I tend to not trust blobs that much at face value. A benchmark would actually prove they didn't do shenanigans on other things in secret.

Comment

Originally posted by cbxbiker61 View Post

Unfortunately the firmware update does not change Carrizo, Kabini or X4-880 (Kaveri).
              My Carrizo has IBPB now:

Not affected
              Mitigation: __user pointer sanitization
              Mitigation: Full AMD retpoline, IBPB

edit: Oh, I just see, I've disabled microcode-loading entirely. The IBPB support must be provided by the latest UEFI-update.
              Last edited by PuckPoltergeist; 22 May 2018, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X