Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This Chart Shows How The Radeon RX 580 vs. GeForce GTX 1060 Now Compete Under Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's not very surprising. What's surprising is that the RX 580 isn't closer to the 1070. Specs wise (TFLOPs) it should be up there.

Comment

I can confirm that the Polaris open source driver got really good these past few months; having owned a reference RX480 since launch, I have seen performance and stability go up steadily. RADV is quite impressive though, going from hobby driver to production driver competitive is quite an accomplishment. I currently play Mad Max, RotTR and DooM/Wine on RADV, and it's now quite painless. Older GCN cards (7770, 270) that I own, when enabling amdgpu, do work surprisingly well for unsupported setups...

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
        I dunno. On my R9 290 amdgpu is more stable than radeon.
        Do you have a lot of crashes?
        Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
        Does dwagner have a GCN 1.0 card perhaps? The comment thread was supposed to be about Polaris, but he only mentioned amdgpu and I've seen people do that in regards to GCN 1.0 even though it's officially unsupported.
        Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
        Same here, I've been running Rx480 with open source drivers for over a year, and all my Steam games play great. Performance is very good, can't even think of the last time I experienced any kind of a crash. The time is now for self respecting Linux geeks to make the switch to AMD.
        I really wish I could say the same, but I have been runnin an RX460 in one of my computers for about a year now, and even though I always tried the latest kernels from https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/linux/ I cannot reach uptimes for more than a few days in between what appears to be clearly amdgpu-related system crashes. (The system does not crash with amdgpu.dc=0)

In addition to the sudden crashes happening during ordinary desktop use (not any fancy gaming or such), since October 2017, all younger kernels now crash consistently upon every attempt to resume from S3 sleep.

Thus, as much as I would like to use AMD GPUs for other systems as well, I have to buy Intel CPUs with iGPUs in order to have open-source systems that are dependable enough for my professional use cases.

If you take a look at the amdgpu bug tracker at https://bugs.freedesktop.org/buglist...resolution=--- , you will see that I am not quite the only person experiencing frequent crashes with amdgpu.dc=1

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
          I really wish I could say the same, but I have been runnin an RX460 in one of my computers for about a year now, and even though I always tried the latest kernels from https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/linux/ I cannot reach uptimes for more than a few days in between what appears to be clearly amdgpu-related system crashes. (The system does not crash with amdgpu.dc=0)
          I suppose you have some reason to use amdgpu.dc=1. I don't use that and my Fedora 27 on RX460 seems quite stable to me.

I bet AMD devs are working on dc code to make it really production quality, but it doesn't happen over night. There is a reason why it is not used by default on Polaris.

Comment

Originally posted by mitch074 View Post
            RADV is quite impressive though, going from hobby driver to production driver competitive is quite an accomplishment.
            The way it started as one guy's hobby project and then picked up steam attracting more talent and contributions from other people in the industry is pretty cool.

Good story for open source... People at Red Hat, Valve and Feral working hard at providing a better experience for AMD's customers and directly benefiting AMD as a result.
            Last edited by humbug; 21 April 2018, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post
              I suppose you have some reason to use amdgpu.dc=1.
              Sure, I have a 4k TV connected to this computer via HDMI, and dc=0 does not support HDMI 2.0, and thus no 3840x2160 @60Hz. (Also, audio via HDMI is a nice-to-have, but I usually use the optical output of the mainboard anyway.)

I bet AMD devs are working on dc code to make it really production quality, but it doesn't happen over night.
              I wish to believe that, but after 13 months with a system that crashes as frequently as on day 1 of its usage, and actually saw a major regression in a feature that is very important to me (the S3 resumes crashing since 10/2017), at some point I ran out of options for deciding what to buy as replacements for my not-just-for-fun-computers.

And the RX460 GPU now isn't even sold anymore (outside of possibly a few remaining stock items).

Comment

I never liked the RX460; it looked like an unfinished product to me. The RX560 is the same chip, but entirely enabled. I think you might find it more stable today than its predecessor.

Comment

Originally posted by mitch074 View Post
                  I never liked the RX460; it looked like an unfinished product to me. The RX560 is the same chip, but entirely enabled. I think you might find it more stable today than its predecessor.
                  I don't see why RX560 would be any more stable than RX460. They are mostly the same.

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post

In addition to the sudden crashes happening during ordinary desktop use (not any fancy gaming or such), since October 2017, all younger kernels now crash consistently upon every attempt to resume from S3 sleep.

Thus, as much as I would like to use AMD GPUs for other systems as well, I have to buy Intel CPUs with iGPUs in order to have open-source systems that are dependable enough for my professional use cases.

If you take a look at the amdgpu bug tracker at https://bugs.freedesktop.org/buglist...resolution=--- , you will see that I am not quite the only person experiencing frequent crashes with amdgpu.dc=1
                    Are you running something with ancient packages, e.g. Ubuntu? Try something with recent packages (not just kernel!), e.g. Arch. You'll find AMD DC much more stable.

Comment

Originally posted by monte84 View Post
                      As far as the minimums go, I think that is just initial load in. I have not seen those types.of dips in actual game play. So looking at the minimums alone can be misleading.
                      Ok, I believe you. I did mention that there was no 99th percentile frame data, so couldn't be sure if the low min was from from load in.

Originally posted by valici View Post

When grasping for straws...

In windows in this title, the 1060 is much faster.. in Linux the 580 is much faster. It's pretty clear that AMD is the way to go.
                      I own an RX 480. Just pointing out min fps is very important to the gameplay experience.

Comment

Working...
                      X