Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This Chart Shows How The Radeon RX 580 vs. GeForce GTX 1060 Now Compete Under Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Chart Shows How The Radeon RX 580 vs. GeForce GTX 1060 Now Compete Under Linux

Phoronix: This Chart Shows How The Radeon RX 580 vs. GeForce GTX 1060 Now Compete Under Linux

It was just last year that open-source RadeonSI/RADV developers were trying to get the Radeon RX 580 "Polaris" GPU to be competitive with the GeForce GTX 1060 as it is under Windows given each GPU's capabilities. We've seen the RX 580 and GTX 1060 dancing under Linux the past few months and yesterday's 20-way GPU comparison with Rise of the Tomb Raider was quite significant -- perhaps most surprising being how well the RX 580 performed. Heck, just one or two years ago it was an accomplishment seeing any official Radeon driver support at-launch for new Linux game releases. So here are some extensive tests looking closer at the GTX 1060 vs. RX 580 battle in this latest Vulkan-powered Linux game port...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i have had my eyes on a rx 580 just to go with open source drivers because the nvidia open source drivers do not even come close to this.

Comment

With Valve and Feral behind Mesa/RADV im not surprised to see AMD cards doing well here. Glad I got my RX 480 when they were under $300

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        If you missed yesterday's tests, see the 20-way NVIDIA/AMD GPU comparison with Rise of the Tomb Raider
        Missing dot.

Comment

RX 580 is indeed looking good. I was surprised to see it was pretty much on par with the Fury in RotTR at 1080p and awfully close even at higher resolutions despite the fact that Fury should theoretically be about 30% faster on average.

Comment

Wow! That's truly remarkable

Comment

I thought the 580 was always known to be better than the 1060?

Comment

These are pretty respectable results. Given that the RX580 offers more raw compute performance, it is nice to see that this is starting to show in realworld numbers. When it comes to Vega, I am slightly less optimistic, unfortunately. The main reason is that the Polaris GPUs have always performed well/been competitive on windows, and now the Linux drivers seem to be catching up. On any platform however, Vega has performed on par with a GTX1080 even though it packs the compute punch roughly comparable to a 1080TI. Therefore, it is not clear if the driver is equally immature on all platform or if Vega simply doesn’t scale well.

Comment

Amd ftw

Comment

I wonder how the RX580's driver does against its Windows counterpart in this particular game.

Comment

Working...
                    X