Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadeonSI Now Appears To Support "RX Vega M" With Intel Core CPUs

Phoronix: RadeonSI Now Appears To Support "RX Vega M" With Intel Core CPUs

One of the most common Linux hardware questions I've received dozens of times in the past few weeks alone has been over the support for "RX Vega M" Vega-based graphics processors found on select newer Intel Kabylake CPUs. It appears RadeonSI at least should now support these Radeon graphics on Intel CPUs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yup, I saw that patch set earlier. It does seem to appear that the Vega M shares a lot of traits with Polaris, which was already rumored recently. Not saying it's not a Vega chip, just that it's not identical to desktop and Raven Ridge vega.

Comment

Oh my gosh, so fake Vega.

Code:
      + case CHIP_VEGAM:

return "polaris11";
      Blob Windows driver says it is Polaris 22. OK, so we could say it is some Polaris class that wanna be Vega
      Last edited by dungeon; 18 April 2018, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Okay, I still don't understand why AMD ( and others ) does that. Is it a shameful of that chip being Polaris? People who care will know that it is not VEGA, people who don't care....well they don't care if it is VEGA or not. Call it Polaris+/Polaris2 if you like, but don't destroy our trust in you AMD.

Comment

Is it even a Vega?
          Now Kaby Lake-G is back in the news with more speculation that its graphics are more akin to Polaris than Vega, so we've conducted testing to see if it supports a new Vega feature.
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

it is polaris with hbm2 and somehow the vega clock/watt curve

Comment

To my understanding, the biggest differences between Polaris and Vega AIBs was the memory and video decoders. Obviously there are definitely more differences than that, but for the most part I don't think the architectures are otherwise all that different.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                To my understanding, the biggest differences between Polaris and Vega AIBs was the memory and video decoders. Obviously there are definitely more differences than that, but for the most part I don't think the architectures are otherwise all that different.
                If they can get the memory bandwidth of HBM2 and the clocks of Vega, then it's definitely a middle-ground between the two. Some people will lament the video encoder/decoder differences (but there were differences between Vega and Raven Ridge there too), but I wouldn't mind too much (although someone streaming VP9 from youtube all day long on their laptop might disagree). The main architectural differences in Vega seem to be difficult to extract performance increases from anyway (or the drivers are just still lagging).

Whether they took a mini-vega and backed the clocks down from the ragged edge they shipped desktop Vega at, or whether they managed to drive up clocks in Polaris probably doesn't matter too much for the moment.

And, well, if the Intel/AMD partnership worked out well enough this time, there's a chance that a future chip might just end up with an updated graphics block on it (mobile navi?). Unless it was just a one-time thing to please certain customers.

Comment

I've been wondering for a week when this article would come.

I heard the 100W GH series comes in NUCs, I hope you can get one of these cool toys, I'm really curious about benchmarks.

Comment

This is the best news I have heard this week! I am quite eager to see what this support means in practice.

I am still a bit surprised though that neither Intel nor AMD has communicated about that. But in all honesty this would not be unusual. I do not remember many AMD GPUs having day one support, besides Vega.

Comment

Working...
                    X