X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oleyska
    replied
    Originally posted by eydee View Post
    And next week they'll announce a new GPU architecture, and moving everything GCN into legacy state.
    I've seen this nagging for quite a while, I have a terrascale gpu in a box and me personally haven't felt it's missing out on anything in windows, and in linux oss driver still supports terrascale doesn't it ?
    what's missing (Just curios)

Leave a comment:

• eydee
    replied
    And next week they'll announce a new GPU architecture, and moving everything GCN into legacy state.

Leave a comment:

• oleyska
    replied
    Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    AMD has lost the gpu war. Gpu card manufacturers are not interested to produce enough Amd gpu cards. No way to get reasonable priced Gigabyte RX560 2GB in EU. I was forced to order GTX 1050 2GB, let us see if that arrives in a week or two. I sold my Ryzen 5 1600 and RX 560 PC and I am building a new one. Tough times for a PC builder.
    No they haven't, they are usually competitively priced but people and e-tailers still charge a leg and arm for em cause they used to be able to get that kind of money for em.
    Lately they've dropped quite a bit and RX580 is now priced better than 1060 at my main e-tailer in EU.

Originally posted by bitman View Post
    Laptop with AMD gpu is totally worth a buy because of opensource drivers and thus PRIME working. Maybe this will nudge nvidia a bit to finally bake a solution for optimus as we unfortunately still have some of that hardware.
    in Laptops the ryzen apu's is what I'd recommend, polaris doesn't really shine in laptops at all but lets hope amd makes better hardware in the future

Leave a comment:

• bitman
    replied
    Laptop with AMD gpu is totally worth a buy because of opensource drivers and thus PRIME working. Maybe this will nudge nvidia a bit to finally bake a solution for optimus as we unfortunately still have some of that hardware.

Leave a comment:

• R41N3R
    replied
    Originally posted by Chewi View Post

This one. PC World sucks but annoyingly it's exclusive to them and there aren't exactly many Ryzens to choose from. I was initially going for the Ryzen 5 model but they dropped the price, making this one only £50 more. They've rated it at 15W TDP so you don't get the full benefit of Ryzen 7 but I gather that Vega 10 is still a significant step up from Vega 8. For the sake of £50, why not.

A 256GB SSD isn't enough for my wife so I did some investigating and ordered the parts needed to fit an additional 2.5" SATA HDD.

Unless you opt for a desktop Ryzen CPU, the only competitor to the Acer is the HP Envy x360 and while it benefits from a higher TDP of 25W, other aspects are quite poor, notably the build quality. It's also much more expensive. The Lenovo is on the way but it only has single channel RAM.
    I bought the HP Envy x360 and it's build quality is great, the reviews I have seen so far mention the same. The only downside is that the display should be brighter and the touch screen support is not yet available on Linux. If I remember right, the Acer Swift lacks dual channel memory, which is not a good base for the Vega.

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    AMD has lost the gpu war. Gpu card manufacturers are not interested to produce enough Amd gpu cards.
    RX 580's are currently selling for the lowest price I've seen this year: $340 @ newegg. That's still above MSRP, but almost reasonable.

RX 560 2 GB is now down to $155.

What's perhaps more interesting is that you consider these elevated selling prices as insufficient motivation for board makers to produce units. That's quite some fanciful logic.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    In which alternative universe is this?
    In his head... he ordered GTX 1050, so AMD has lost GPU World War 3+ . Mario missed the castle as usual, so Luigi wins

Leave a comment:

• torsionbar28
    replied
    AMD has lost the gpu war.
    In which alternative universe is this? Last time I checked, every make and model AMD GPU was selling out as fast as they can produce them, mainly due to cryptocurrency mining.

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    the Polaris 12 GPUs at least have a slightly higher clock, but that's about it.
    Well, there's also the fact that it now has up to 10 CU. So, if you can get a 1287 MHz boost clock @ 10 CU, then you get ~36% more compute than the RX 550. And @ 128-bit GGDR5, it should still have bandwidth to spare.

I wonder if it's still capped at 50 W, though I'm guessing not.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    There is Dell Inspiron 15 5000 also now with Ryzen 7 2700U (and other lower, from 3 up to that 7 ):

https://www.forbes.com/sites/patrick...nd-all-in-ones
    Last edited by dungeon; 11 April 2018, 06:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X