No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Rolls Out The Volta-Based Quadro GV100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If AMD released a 7nm Vega GPU then I think they'd do ok. 7nm should allow them to drop power consumption allot and also enable the ability to reach 1080ti performance levels, that would be enough for quite a few people to come back to AMD.

The issue I see is the price gouging and high cost of HBM2, AMD use to sell cheaper cards then competitor (by a little bit) but now AMD cards are significantly more pricey compared to NVIDIA, a BAD precedence when you only have %8 market share (gamers). The miners are not going to be loyal long term, both companies are going to find this out the hard way!

Comment

AMD going with TSMC might actually help them catch up substantially. Not that I know what kind of IP TSMC can provide AMD's process, but it's probably a bit better than what GloFo has at the moment. AMD is like a crude truck with more torque but less ponies, AMD needs to use it's fabric and double their processing power every generation until NVIDIA is force to break out of cycle like Intel. That and with some bad press like Nvidia has been having should do well enough to draw even in 2-3 years. But AMD seriously needs to double their potential, Nvidia will drive up the prices, but if they can get cards in at 3-400 watts with 2+ dyes on board, with options for both HBM and GDDR, they will have a very powerful platform. Nvidia has only their software and and some silicon process keeping them ahead at the moment. Vulkan and their O/S efforts will hopefully pay off soon.
      Last edited by pcxmac; 28 March 2018, 04:28 AM.

Comment

Multi core GPU's would be expensive, and completely cut out the small form factor market. Also the heat involved with cooling such a card could put people off also. BUT if they reduced the power draw of the vega gpu significantly, and slapped two on a die, then they could still come under 300W and outperform a 1080ti, maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
          Multi core GPU's would be expensive, and completely cut out the small form factor market. Also the heat involved with cooling such a card could put people off also. BUT if they reduced the power draw of the vega gpu significantly, and slapped two on a die, then they could still come under 300W and outperform a 1080ti, maybe.
          Water cooling should do the trick ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
            Multi-core GPUs could be the solution to AMDs problems with a model similar to the Ryzen CPUs.

Compared to Vega 64 I believe it would be much cheaper to manufacture 2-4 Polaris chips and shared 8 GB stack of HBM2 and then connecting the GPUs with Infinity fabric.

Due to the nature of the interposer and the HBM2 memory the package size (i.e. GPU+RAM chips) might even be smaller than on a regular GPU+GDDR5X card, meaning that you could have ITX-sized cards with enough space for a strong VRM.

Comment

Working...
            X