Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon Vega 12 Support Called For Pulling Into Linux 4.17 Kernel

Phoronix: Radeon Vega 12 Support Called For Pulling Into Linux 4.17 Kernel

AMD developers have already submitted a few rounds of feature work to DRM-Next for Linux 4.17, including enabling DC for all supported GPUs while now they have sent in a last-minute pull request in aiming to get their newly-published "Vega 12" GPU support into the Linux 4.17 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is there any good info out there on what the "Vega 12" products will be? I've been searching and can't find anything.

The Vega 56 and Vega 64 apparently have "Vega 10" chips in them:

There is a wikipedia page that states that "Vega 11" chips are found in some Desktop Ryzen CPUs:

Is there any chance that the Vega 12 chips will be used in a new range of discrete graphics cards announced or released in 2018?

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
      Is there any chance that the Vega 12 chips will be used in a new range of discrete graphics cards announced or released in 2018?
      there is a chance it is firepro range

Comment

News After years of Polaris domination in Radeon mobile market, AMD has finally decided to unleash Vega for mobile gaming. AMD Radeon Vega Mobile We should

Doesn't say if the codename is Vega 12, but its a Vega GPU. Vega 10 and Vega 11 are already out there, so it would make sense.

Comment

There are two numbering schemes, the first is similar to the Polaris 10,11,12,20 naming scheme:

Vega10 - large standalone GPU product family
          Vega11 - Disappeared, or maybe the SKU in the Intel CPU+GPU package
          Vega12 - the GPU in the story, again a family of products (apparently verified from AMD not to be the SKU in the Intel chip)

and then there are the marketing names:

Vega 64 - Vega10
          Vega 56 - Vega10
          Vega 11 - Ryzen APU
          Vega 10 - Ryzen APU
          Vega 8 - Ryzen APU
          Vega 3 - Ryzen APU

So not ideal. I guess it's a 24-36 CU standalone GPU to replace Polaris20 (RX 580, RX 570), i.e., RX 680, RX 670.

Comment

There is a wikipedia page that states that "Vega 11" chips are found in some Desktop Ryzen CPUs:

You are confusing the chip's internal designation (Vega 10, Vega 11, Vega 12) with the marketing product names (Vega 64, Vega 56, Vega 11 in APUs). The desktop Ryzen features a Vega 11 GPU (marketing name since it features 11 CUs - one of the better naming schemes out there imho). This is not the same as the Vega 11 chip. I assume, the part Intel is buying for their CPUs with 24 CUs is the Vega 11 chip. That is speculation on my part, though. Assuming that this is true, Vega 12 would be an even smaller part - possibly a replacement for the RX 560 series which coincidently uses the Polaris 12 chip.

Comment

It seems my confusion is partly because of more marketing team, naming insanity. Thanks for the clarifications.

If there new products are replacements for the RX 560 series, then the crypto currency mining industry is probably going to buy up these cards extremely quickly. The RX 580 is pretty popular for mining. A company even recently started selling home heaters which each contain two RX 580s:
              HPC, cloud computing (PAAS, SAAS & IAAS) & Infrastructure IT : chez Qarnot nous conjuguons performance, sécurité, empreinte carbone et souveraineté

Comment

It seems my confusion is partly because of more marketing team, naming insanity. Thanks for the clarifications.

If there new products are replacements for the RX 560 series, then the crypto currency mining industry is probably going to buy up these cards extremely quickly. The RX 580 is pretty popular for mining. A company even recently started selling home heaters which each contain two RX 580s:
                https://www.qarnot.com/crypto-heater_qc1/
                It's not like history has taught you to expect sense from marketing names

Comment

I would consider a Vega 10 (64 CU-Vega) refresh advertised as 12nm with slightly higher boost.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                    It's not like history has taught you to expect sense from marketing names
                    True. It still hurts my brain though.

I'm also a little surprised that so many companies allow it to happen. Here are some of the negative consequences for them that I can think of:
                    • Beauty. There is a kind-of beauty to consistency and patterns. Inconsistent/weird naming reduces beauty.
                    • Familiarity. Customers who get to know a company can gain a greater sense of understanding of past, current and future products if consistent & logical naming is used.
                    • Communication improvements. Tech support and even sales depts should have an easier time talking about products with customers and even internally if the naming is sane. If the naming uses consecutive numbers or dates, you can even know something about the chronological ordering of products just from their name.
                    • Customer satisfaction. I don't know how many people there are like me, but I for one am always frustrated by insane naming schemes. They worsen my image of the product & the company. It makes them appear foolish, disorganised and unprofessional; especially so when it comes to electronics products.

Comment

Working...
                    X