Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu Linux With Radeon / GeForce GPUs On The Latest 2018 Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
    For most if not all of them its OpenGL on both OS's , he does mention it within the article just not on the intro.
    It's only mentioned once and that is for Dota 2 as I wrote earlier. It could be that it's OpenGL on both (except for Bioshock of course) but in either case the article could use some clarification on this matter.

Comment

Michael Offtopic, with the release of Cryengine 5.5 the sandbox editor has been open sourced : https://github.com/CRYTEK/CRYENGINE/...ment-374899236
      Crytek has has changed to 5% royalty too. Sorry I did not see a place to submit news so here you go.

Comment

They said 1 year ago. I don't believe that anymore.
        Originally posted by Tsih View Post
        This still bothers me, my PC performs well with R290 on Linux, better than with W10 when I last tested Windows couple of years ago. Desktop usage on Windows was fine, but in CS:GO there was microstuttering that doesn't appear with Linux. I can run CS:GO on 2K resolution with pretty much full graphics and still get 144fps+ on my Linux. Have been playing CS:GO on Linux without any problems for a year plus, that's after they fixed frame dropping that came with high resolution smokes.
        What's your rank?
        Last edited by prazola; 22 March 2018, 07:02 PM.

Comment

CSGO runs fine on my i5-4570 + HD5770 for the most part. little or no stutter, hard to detect lag. one problem with linux in this case is there are so many ways to mess things up... Ubuntu 17.10 was broken upon launch. my best experience so far has been on Antergos + GNOME Xorg session.

I'd make a windows dual-boot if I had a means of accurately measuring lag, though I am tempted just to see if if feels any different.

Comment

Originally posted by prazola View Post
            What's your rank?
            Is this one of those "You probably don't even know what you're talking about because your rank is so low."? There aren't any noticeable framedrops and the game feels smooth on my PC, that's that. I get that you might have problems, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that it works for some.

What I'm personally interested in is, why does the next guy running R290 have problems and I got none. I'm using Mesa driver and probably he has also at some point of his installation.

Comment

This would be more interesting if it wasn't dated April of last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Tsih View Post

Is this one of those "You probably don't even know what you're talking about because your rank is so low."? There aren't any noticeable framedrops and the game feels smooth on my PC, that's that. I get that you might have problems, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that it works for some.

What I'm personally interested in is, why does the next guy running R290 have problems and I got none. I'm using Mesa driver and probably he has also at some point of his installation.
                I tested this with r9 390x r9 290 r9 280x HD4870 and the problem is always there. There's no way you are not facing the problem.

Comment

I tested this with r9 390x r9 290 r9 280x HD4870 and the problem is always there. There's no way you are not facing the problem.
                  When, and on what distro, DE, etc?

Comment

Originally posted by HenryM View Post

When, and on what distro, DE, etc?
                    Almost every week I try it out. Arch, OpenSuSE and Ubuntu. KDE, gnome, lxqt, xfce, icewm. Both radeon and amdgpu, usually with mesa-git.

Comment

Almost every week I try it out. Arch, OpenSuSE and Ubuntu. KDE, gnome, lxqt, xfce, icewm. Both radeon and amdgpu, usually with mesa-git.
                      Odd. I've only experienced performance like that on: a broken graphics stack, last I tried xwayland, one time that ceaseless disk activity impeded performance for a day, and on an AM2+/AM3 system with an Athlon II x3 445 and nvidia 8600-gt (attempting to play TF2)

though I do recall fairly regular frame skips (consistent, 3 jumps per 2 seconds or so) when I played at 76Hz on Ubuntu a little while ago.

right now on Antergos, gnome 3.28, xorg, Linux 4.14, i5-4570, HD 5770, all lows, no v-sync, 800x600@144Hz I get pretty much flawless performance anytime the gpu isn't a major bottleneck. turning v-sync on makes it 100% smooth. (no, I don't use vsync)

However, the "Insertion" map runs like choppy garbage offline with bots for some reason, yet it's smooth but slow online or without bots... that's with the 4570 and an i7-860.

Comment

Working...
                      X