Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu Linux With Radeon / GeForce GPUs On The Latest 2018 Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu Linux With Radeon / GeForce GPUs On The Latest 2018 Drivers

Phoronix: Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu Linux With Radeon / GeForce GPUs On The Latest 2018 Drivers

Given how fiercely the latest open-source AMD Linux driver code is running now up against NVIDIA's long-standing flagship Linux GPU driver, you might be curious how well that driver stacks up against the Radeon Software driver on Windows? Well, you are in luck as here are some fresh benchmarks of the Radeon RX 580 and RX Vega 64 as well as the GeForce GTX 1060 and GTX 1080 Ti while being tested both under Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64 and Ubuntu 16.04 LTS while using the latest AMD/NVIDIA drivers on each platform.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Biggest real takeaway: AMD's Windows drivers *really* suck at OpenGL.

Comment

It pains me to see you used purple for Windows and blue for Ubuntu but I will look past this, Michael.

Comment

So in general games that are built natively for Linux tend to run better than on Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
          It pains me to see you used purple for Windows and blue for Ubuntu but I will look past this, Michael.
          It's all auto-generated by PTS... I didn't pick any colors.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

this just proves it, when the game is native on both platforms linux is (a lot) faster, gaming on linux isnt as fast as windows just because ports lose performance

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

It's all auto-generated by PTS... I didn't pick any colors.
              If only the author of PTS could write an if statement to handle this edge case :P

Comment

I did not expect at the beginning of 2018 that linux would come so close from Windows in gaming. Every 6 months it's always more surprising. All these good results in those bench offered by a talented and very hard working journalist is also quite a compliment to all the talented people involved on this minority gaming platform! 2017 was excellent, 2018 is already very good. Looking forward to the rest.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                  and the respective graphics cards attached to a 4K ACer display.

Comment

When I saw Bioshock in the list I was kinda like "this game shouldn't be in the benchmark list as it's not native", but I quickly retracted that thought with the 4k Results. The results speak volumes, gaming performance in Linux is very close to Windows when using a native binary. Can't wait for part 2 of these benchmarks.

Comment

Working...
                    X