Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu Linux With Radeon / GeForce GPUs On The Latest 2018 Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leopard View Post

Serious question: Did Bioshock Infinite has OpenGL on Windows or not , since i didn't find anything about it. It looks like Bioshock has Dx only on Windows.
    Did I said "Many" right at beginning? That case is DX-only game on WIndows.

As we all know, on Windows non DX are in most cases considered as alternative renderers... so it is not a big or any issue for an Windows user if possible alternative renderer is slower

If alternative renderer happens to be better, well... Windows user will just switch to it and that is where all story ends
    Last edited by dungeon; 21 March 2018, 07:19 PM.

Comment

The windows advantages at 1080p for some titles is probably a result of most gamers playing at that resolution and the HUGE amount of optimisation wars that has gone into it over other resolutions. Also some of those large performance gains that the NVIDIA then AMD get could be a result of reduced rendering demands, we all know NVIDIA deliberately cheats with some of its OpenGL calls (non-standards) so wouldn't be surprised if that's what we are seeing.

For example the gains the Vega64 sees in Unigine seem a bit weird, sure it should perform better then what the windows results get, so perhaps there is regression there. X-Plane results seem pretty broken, 1060 == 1080ti are same speed, lol.

Would have been nice to see some DX11 results tossed into the mix just for comparisons to get a idea of how well OpenGL is doing these days, I hope Vulkan is the future and DX12 doesn't become the defacto API.
      Last edited by theriddick; 21 March 2018, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Even if the average FPS seems good, CSGO is still unplayable competitively on linux. Fps drops while shooting and bad framepacing. Radeon drivers and valve togl implementation are both responsible of this. The game runs better through wine-staging-nine, but vac is not working there.
        Sadly I know valve will never do a proper port of the game, but the actual implementation is why the linux player base is almost absent on the platform.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
          Many of these test only show best of AMD opensource driver on Linux, against worse case scenario of AMD blob on Windows In reality for Windows, situation is different. As most people just runs DX renderers there

Even for that popular Dota 2, DX variants are fastest anyway... both on nVidia or AMD

https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comme...ce_comparison/

GL is slowest for both vendors, only it is worse on AMD - but that is not some fresh news

Recently ReSX Project optimized Dota 2 further... but of course that is not for so called alternative renderers

[Originally posted on 03/06/18.] In recent months, we kicked off a special project inside of the Radeon™ Software group known as Project ReSX (Radeon™ eSports Experience). The goal of this project was to optimize the performance of some of the most popular PC games in the world on Radeon™ GPUs, to ...

Spot there 95 fps for RX 580 on 4K Dota 2 Ultra That result is like Vega 64 running VK here
          The only benchmark where it's stated that OpenGL was used on Windows was Dota 2. Since it's not stated on any of the other tests we simply don't know if Michael used OpenGL or DX on Windows for these.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post
            Since it's not stated on any of the other tests we simply don't know if Michael used OpenGL or DX on Windows for these.
            Since it is not stated, we are free to guess - isn't it? It is GL on WIndows mostly, i guess.
            Last edited by dungeon; 21 March 2018, 08:18 PM.

Comment

For most if not all of them its OpenGL on both OS's , he does mention it within the article just not on the intro.

Comment

GL is generally better on Linux, we all know that If oppposite happens, that is likely due to the port.

Else is only that some CPU boundware diff might happen, usually with compositor xyz CPU boundware is most common variable, as no one run same CPU and same DE Otherwise we will be like PlayStation, just play it - no diff all along
                Last edited by dungeon; 21 March 2018, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Portal obviously is very much playable with any modern driver/GPU should you still be interested in this Valve game...
                  APU gamers are interested in these titles, when you benchmark Intel & AMD APUs test that.

What happens with Ryzen APU on Linux vs Windows at 1080p should be interesting to see Maybe that mentioned CPU bound CS:GO and general more CPU boundware on lower resolution would draw better picture - particulary with attention to the lows fps as that is what most people hate when they spot it High nor average does not matter, if lows are not good

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreview...rks-vs-gt-1030

Or Dota and compare to that

APUs should see more coverage i think, since pricing of cards is so high nowdays
                  Last edited by dungeon; 21 March 2018, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                    Even for that popular Dota 2, DX variants are fastest anyway... both on nVidia or AMD

https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comme...ce_comparison/
                    What are you talking about?
                    Dota 2 Gameplay Benchmark. GeForce GTX 1060 6GB. Processor i7-6800K 4.2GHz. Graphics settings: Ultra (Max) | Resolution: 1920x1080 | Grab games here: http://...

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post

What are you talking about?
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54oU4XAWmM8
                      What should i watch there? Many times whan i pause that video i see how DX9 is fastest there too altough sometimes the opposite happens

But i mostly tought of AMD and these recent ReSX improvments on Windows, which this Michael benchmark does not show You know, Michael uses latest driver for AMD on Windows but does not show these ReSX improvments on Dota, blah, blah

I expected to see these ReSX improvments since Michael mentioned Adrenalin 18.3.3 release and RX 580, of course these boosts are not for GL or VK renderers

Mine first sentence in this thread was:
                      Many of these test only show best of AMD opensource driver on Linux, against worse case scenario of AMD blob on Windows
                      And i still think this I clicked on article named like this:

Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu Linux With Radeon / GeForce GPUs On The Latest 2018 Drivers

But got something else, at least click bait works With latest drivers mentioned i expect to see on both sides what really happens with latest drivers and not to test just known worse case AMD blob GL scenario... why these Dota 2 ReSX advertised improvments are not shown i dunno, i can only guess this is how opensource click baiting works

That way user would know that shit is shit and to complain or at least to know about shit right away... unlike this way, things looks better and better in benches, meanwhile in practice and most of the time, user get what we all know he get

People often says here CS:GO for Linux is shitty port, i am not quite sure... maybe it is - maybe it isn't. Anyhow, so to take user compliants seriosly i guess Valve and/or driver devs should take a look right there to improve that case if possible.

This issue is for the purpose of tracking performance problems with Linux. Other general performance issues reported on Linux will be closed as duplicates of this issue. While in ideal conditions i...

Is that really since 64bit client? At least they are watching on this, improving but also breaking it
                      Last edited by dungeon; 22 March 2018, 01:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X