Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu Linux With Radeon / GeForce GPUs On The Latest 2018 Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

If only the author of PTS could write an if statement to handle this edge case :P
    What are the best n colors you could pick? The ones which maximise the lowest value for the CIE DE2000 between each other: http://colormine.org/delta-e-calculator/cie2000
    So if you really don't want to put some if/else statements in your code, at least make sure that the CIE DE2000 is high enough to be able to easily distinguish them.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
      this just proves it, when the game is native on both platforms linux is (a lot) faster, gaming on linux isnt as fast as windows just because ports lose performance
      Just because ports suck, is more proper.

Comment

I have been saying for years that Linux has the possibility to perform much better than windows in games, if people only tried.
        Glad to see it starting to take shape.

Comment

Very cool. I wonder what DirectX results would look like (vs OpenGL) on Windows, too.

Comment

Huh, so radeonsi is now dramatically faster than Windows driver at OpenGL in all cases except when there's 100+ FPS? Wow.

And just look at those Nvidia results! Except Bioshock at 1080p (with stupidly high framerate anyway), Linux is either about the same or noticeably faster.

Did I live to see Linux faster not only at disk and CPU, but also at OpenGL?!

Comment

Many of these test only show best of AMD opensource driver on Linux, against worse case scenario of AMD blob on Windows In reality for Windows, situation is different. As most people just runs DX renderers there

Even for that popular Dota 2, DX variants are fastest anyway... both on nVidia or AMD

https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comme...ce_comparison/

GL is slowest for both vendors, only it is worse on AMD - but that is not some fresh news

Recently ReSX Project optimized Dota 2 further... but of course that is not for so called alternative renderers

[Originally posted on 03/06/18.] In recent months, we kicked off a special project inside of the Radeon™ Software group known as Project ReSX (Radeon™ eSports Experience). The goal of this project was to optimize the performance of some of the most popular PC games in the world on Radeon™ GPUs, to ...

Spot there 95 fps for RX 580 on 4K Dota 2 Ultra That result is like Vega 64 running VK here
              Last edited by dungeon; 21 March 2018, 06:59 PM.

Comment

I am positively impressed that CSGO performance on Linux is finally catching up with Window on both vendors.

Comment

With RX 480 and Ryzen 1600X you can still feel csgo run badly even when average fps are good. The windows version in wine with gallium nine runs noticeable smoother even though average fps isn't as good. I would not recommend native linux csgo to anyone (maybe nvidia is ok, I don't know).

Another thing is that with the windows version in wine the time it takes to start csgo and the time it takes to load levels is cut down by at least 80%, maybe even 90% compared to the native linux version.

At this point I think only two things could make it really playable:
                  1. csgo devs actually profiling and fixing performance (not going to happen)
                  2. port to source 2 with vulkan (has already been teased)

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                    Many of these test only show best of AMD opensource driver on Linux, against worse case scenario of AMD blob on Windows In reality for Windows, situation is different. As most people just runs DX renderers there

Even for that popular Dota 2, DX variants are fastest anyway... both on nVidia or AMD

https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comme...ce_comparison/

GL is slowest for both vendors, only it is worse on AMD - but that is not some fresh news

Recently ReSX Project optimized Dota 2 further... but of course that is not for so called alternative renderers

[Originally posted on 03/06/18.] In recent months, we kicked off a special project inside of the Radeon™ Software group known as Project ReSX (Radeon™ eSports Experience). The goal of this project was to optimize the performance of some of the most popular PC games in the world on Radeon™ GPUs, to ...

Spot there 95 fps for RX 580 on 4K Dota 2 Ultra That result is like Vega 64 running VK here
                    Serious question: Did Bioshock Infinite has OpenGL on Windows or not , since i didn't find anything about it. It looks like Bioshock has Dx only on Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post
                      With RX 480 and Ryzen 1600X you can still feel csgo run badly even when average fps are good.
                      Well, for best experience fps rate is only one factor. Also, pictures speaks better than words

Lowest frame rate improvments is usually best for experience, so frame times and responsivenes are next task to do, once you get best average fps

At this point I think only two things could make it really playable:
                      1. csgo devs actually profiling and fixing performance (not going to happen)
                      2. port to source 2 with vulkan (has already been teased)
                      At any point and ideally "game devs & driver devs" should work together before game happens

CS:GO is old game, for end user only what matter are what is his lowest frame time. While for highest frame rate, that does not matter at all for experience if it is high enough (game or user should cap that anyway) only matters for benchmark comparisons of drivers
                      Last edited by dungeon; 21 March 2018, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X