AMD Posts Open-Source Driver Patches For Vega 12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drago View Post
    What a Vega MESS. Couldn't AMD come up with something less confusing, kinda Ryzen-Zen.
    it really isnt that difficult for anybody that has graduated high school maybe even grade school.
    In any case 60 000 lines of code for just one variant for just one chip. I wonder when Linux developers will say enough is enough. I guess in the future there will be different git repos for each kernel sub tree, and make install will download selectively depending on the kernel compile configuration.
    Agan read the article, it isnt that difficult to understand. The majority of the code is boiƂerplate to define registers and stuff. Such info in no way burdens the kernel source code trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post

I think the Vega has had the best naming ever.
      Vega tells the architecture and the number is the number of the compute units so one can estimate how powerful the chip is.
      Did you read the comments above. This thread is about an archtecture not a product.
      Like Vega 12 puts it between RX550 and RX560 so i guess i will see this in an laptop, integrated to a motherboard or in an APU.
      Again architecture! From the naterial in this thread you can't derive the statements you made above. Being a newish archetecture it could show up anywhere with any number of compute units. Now you might make assumptions based on data from outside this thread but that isnt what many are doing here.

Comment

Originally posted by valici View Post
        Eureka! What is the next AMD chip to be launched? It was already demoed BUT not by AMD and will need Linux support?
        And COINCIDENTALLY has exactly 5 SKUs? And the realease date is supposed to be late March?
        Intel said that they, not AMD, will be providing Kaby Lake G drivers to end users:
        Originally posted by PCWorld
        One interesting wrinkle: Intel will be responsible for supplying the drivers for the Radeon GPU, though company engineers won’t write the original code. An Intel representative said they’re working closely with AMD’s Radeon business to supply “day one” drivers for new games, when those drivers become available.
        https://www.pcworld.com/article/3235...-graphics.html

Comment

This is not for the Kaby Lake GPU.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
            Mesa patches will be out momentarily.
            By chance did that get delayed?
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              By chance did that get delayed?
              Yes - Marek had to pull in an updated addrlib in order to pick up a last-minute fix.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Yes - Marek had to pull in an updated addrlib in order to pick up a last-minute fix.
                No problem, just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything on the mailing list.... My IP has gotten (presumably auto-blocked) multiple times before due to the amount of traffic from my Anzwix Git crawler and all my RSS feed monitoring and other monitoring from the FreeDesktop.org server, so I try not to refresh the mailing list archives too many extra times
                Michael Larabel

Comment

nevermind, didn't see Bridgeman's Kaby Lake GPU comment
                  Last edited by theriddick; 21 March 2018, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                    Could it be Intels on die Vega/CPU collaboration?
                    Bridgman already said it is not that.
                    Michael Larabel

Comment

OK, so according to this, Vega12 is just a FirePro Workstation card. Not really exciting. Vega11 is also similar.

Comment

Working...
                      X