Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Posts Open-Source Driver Patches For Vega 12

Phoronix: AMD Posts Open-Source Driver Patches For Vega 12

It's been a while since last hearing anything about the rumored "Vega 12" GPU but coming out this morning are a set of 42 patches providing support for this unreleased GPU within the mainline Linux kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

so - vega 12 would be 12 CU's enabled (instead of the 8, 11, 56 and 64 we already have)... so it would be a rather low end add in card?

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
      so - vega 12 would be 12 CU's enabled (instead of the 8, 11, 56 and 64 we already have)... so it would be a rather low end add in card?
      It's probably for the successor to Polaris 10/RX580.

Comment

I don't think it's Vega12 as in 12 CU, but the chip codename like Vega10 is the chip used for RX56/64. It could also be the number of CU but that would be very confusing.
        Also if it would have 12CU that would make it roughly equivalent to RX560 so.. kind of pointless.

Comment

Mesa patches will be out momentarily.

Comment

Originally posted by valici View Post
            I don't think it's Vega12 as in 12 CU, but the chip codename like Vega10 is the chip used for RX56/64. It could also be the number of CU but that would be very confusing.
            Also if it would have 12CU that would make it roughly equivalent to RX560 so.. kind of pointless.
            Probably a distinction is needed for VEGA10/VEGA11/VEGA12 vs. the marketing names Vega3 (Ryzen 2200U / Athlon 200GE, rumoured), Vega6 (2300U), Vega8, Vega10 and Vega11 and the discrete cards RX Vega 56/64.

But I do think that Polaris will be gone sooner or later and replaced with Vega.

Comment

this might just be for vega mobile, i would love to have 12nm vega 32 for desktop tough

Comment

Originally posted by FirstPersonBSOD View Post

It's probably for the successor to Polaris 10/RX580.

VEGA 10, VEGA 11, VEGA 12 and VEGA 20 are known architectures

Radeon RX VEGA 12,Radeon RX VEGA3, Radeon Rx VEGA56 and RADEON RX VEGA64 are implementions of the architctures so the cards are single PCI IDs each

article says
                "About the only thing worth mentioning is that this Vega 12 enablement has five PCI IDs added"

that there will be 5 cards based on VEGA12 architecture or at least how many cards are planned..

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                  Mesa patches will be out momentarily.

So agd5f, if we send milk and cookies to your office, would you tell us more about this?

PS: we promise not to tell anyone.

Comment

What a Vega MESS. Couldn't AMD come up with something less confusing, kinda Ryzen-Zen.

In any case 60 000 lines of code for just one variant for just one chip. I wonder when Linux developers will say enough is enough. I guess in the future there will be different git repos for each kernel sub tree, and make install will download selectively depending on the kernel compile configuration.

Comment

Working...
                    X