Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radeon GPUs Are Increasingly Competing With NVIDIA GPUs On Latest RadeonSI/RADV Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No more 1080p results? Also I can't wait for NIR-path to mature .

Comment

Originally posted by xxmitsu View Post
      No more 1080p results? Also I can't wait for NIR-path to mature .
      With the range of GPUs tested for this article, in most games they are CPU bound at 1080p.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Remember when J. Bridgman said many times that AMD folks expect the FOSS driver
        to eventually deliver a performance of about 70 % of a closed-source driver (with all the magic)?

Comment

Originally posted by oleyska View Post

we're talking drivers, not hardware.
          we know the hardware is well, not progressed at all and I think Raja can be easily blamed for not delivering anything in 4 years.
          Drivers are good, impressive and improving at a good pace.
          Actually, Vega is not bad at all - it's pretty decent in terms of "workstation usage". It's just absolute crap in terms of Gaming...but it comes very apparent that Gaming wasn't Rajas intention. Unfortunately, that could mean Intel will have a competing GPU in terms of workstation usage...

Still. I find it impressive, Vega beats a 1080 Ti at anything, or even come close to it.

Comment

Most interseting always to me is that 1080 Ti is so much better than plain 1080, unlike 1070 Ti to plain 1070. So, that Ti-tech seems not so much a thing, if not at the top of the line

Michael did you ever test that - Ti to non-Ti diff, I mean on 1050, 1070 and 1080... you have all these models isn't it?

Originally posted by Nexusband View Post

Actually, Vega is not bad at all - it's pretty decent in terms of "workstation usage". It's just absolute crap in terms of Gaming.
            I think these Ti-tricks are nowdays most obvious, bigger the GPU became TI-tricks seems works more and more better

This is not today or because of Raja, workstation or something, that Ti-tech specials where correctness is not requirement (such as gaming) exist since GeForce 2 AFAIR

It is kind of saying how normal nVidia cards are "absolute crap in terms of Gaming", just because Ti versions exists... i know some like to call normal nVidia non-Ti as SE to even better describe these normal but crippled editions
            Last edited by dungeon; 19 March 2018, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
              There is really no reason for any self respecting open-source enthusiast to run NVidia hardware any more. Sold my GTX Titan last year, replacing it with an Rx 480 and have not looked back. All my Steam games play really smoothly on Ultimate settings. Everything just works, and works really well - no more binary blobs or proprietary kernel modules to compile. AMD FTW!
              I would trade my 770 GTX for something AMD. Problem is right now, I can't get anything that would even be an improvement in performance for under $200...which is what I paid for the card 2 years ago refurbished!

If a 390x/480/580 becomes available for under $150, I would likely make the switch. I am actually hoping the mining all busts, and the market is flooded with used mining cards, and I can pick one up for under $100.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

With the range of GPUs tested for this article, in most games they are CPU bound at 1080p.
                Exactly. One could compare efficiency from a different perspective. Also I don't have a monitor capable of more than that and I was more curious how it behaves at that resolution.
                Last edited by xxmitsu; 19 March 2018, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post
                  Really impressive. I always wonder what kind of patented stuff nvidia and amd have in their proprietary drivers that make it impossible to open source them. It doesn't seem to be that much of an advantage anymore
                  AMD is open source so you can go look..

Comment

Holy shit that is amazing.
                    Here's hoping they keep it up with Navi, I'm looking forward to finally upgrade by then.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                      Most interseting always to me is that 1080 Ti is so much better than plain 1080, unlike 1070 Ti to plain 1070. So, that Ti-tech seems not so much a thing, if not at the top of the line

Michael did you ever test that - Ti to non-Ti diff, I mean on 1050, 1070 and 1080... you have all these models isn't it?

I think these Ti-tricks are nowdays most obvious, bigger the GPU became TI-tricks seems works more and more better

This is not today or because of Raja, workstation or something, that Ti-tech specials where correctness is not requirement (such as gaming) exist since GeForce 2 AFAIR

It is kind of saying how normal nVidia cards are "absolute crap in terms of Gaming", just because Ti versions exists... i know some like to call normal nVidia non-Ti as SE to even better describe these normal but crippled editions
                      The 1070ti isn't faster, because NV didn't want to hurt their sales for the 1080. And they are not crippled - the Ti chips are different and not just clocked higher.

The Vega is absolute crap in terms of gaming, because first, it took AMD so long to get them out on the market and second, they have been totally "miss-optimized". In terms of raw performance the 64 is miles ahead of the 1080 Ti. But they suck more power, because of that miss optimisation.

Comment

Working...
                      X