Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radeon GPUs Are Increasingly Competing With NVIDIA GPUs On Latest RadeonSI/RADV Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon GPUs Are Increasingly Competing With NVIDIA GPUs On Latest RadeonSI/RADV Drivers

Phoronix: Radeon GPUs Are Increasingly Competing With NVIDIA GPUs On Latest RadeonSI/RADV Drivers

As it's been a few weeks since last delivering a modest Linux GPU comparison and given the continuously evolving state of the Linux kernel Git tree as well as the Mesa project that houses the RadeonSI OpenGL and RADV Vulkan drivers, here are our latest benchmarks showing the current state of the AMD Radeon open-source Linux graphics driver performance relative to NVIDIA's long-standing and high-performance but proprietary driver using several different graphics cards.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The year of the open source graphics is finally upon us - AMD finally has a first class high end GPU that can go neck and neck with Nvidia in price / performance.

And its out of stock everywhere and when in stock at least twice over its MSRP thanks to miners.

What a buzzkill.

Comment

That Tomb Raider result is interesting. Is there something about that game that works better on AMD or has Nvidia regressed? I suppose Mesa rendering was correct so that is not an issue.

Comment

Where is your closed source god now?
        Last edited by M@GOid; 20 March 2018, 06:53 AM.

Comment

Really impressive. I always wonder what kind of patented stuff nvidia and amd have in their proprietary drivers that make it impossible to open source them. It doesn't seem to be that much of an advantage anymore

Comment

Soo, a new AMD GPU being on par with the 2nd in line, 2 year old NV GPU is "competing" now? Okay.

Comment

There is really no reason for any self respecting open-source enthusiast to run NVidia hardware any more. Sold my GTX Titan last year, replacing it with an Rx 480 and have not looked back. All my Steam games play really smoothly on Ultimate settings. Everything just works, and works really well - no more binary blobs or proprietary kernel modules to compile. AMD FTW!

Comment

Impressive! Congratulations to the guys at AMD and everyone working at this topic!
                This means there will be no Win10 for me, once support for Win7 ends. Hopefully AMD will implement GPU virtualization (MxGPU) for consumer GPUs. But in that case there would be no GPUs to buy, even if mining fully collapses as everyone and their mother would switch to Linux and virtualized Windows.

Comment

AMD so deserves this success for over a decade (the later ATi included) open source support! ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
                    Soo, a new AMD GPU being on par with the 2nd in line, 2 year old NV GPU is "competing" now? Okay.
                    we're talking drivers, not hardware.
                    we know the hardware is well, not progressed at all and I think Raja can be easily blamed for not delivering anything in 4 years.
                    Drivers are good, impressive and improving at a good pace.

Comment

Working...
                    X