No announcement yet.

AMD Raven Ridge Graphics On Linux vs. Lower-End NVIDIA / AMD GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael, would it be possible for you to benchmark Raven Ridge in a laptop/ultrabook such as the Acer Swift 3 SF315-41 series? It'd be interesting to see how mobile stacks up against desktop and if there are any issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Lanz View Post
      Michael, would it be possible for you to benchmark Raven Ridge in a laptop/ultrabook such as the Acer Swift 3 SF315-41 series? It'd be interesting to see how mobile stacks up against desktop and if there are any issues.
      Unlikely.... No review samples and no extra funds for such hardware purchases... Do plan on getting a new main laptop this year for myself, but still split between Raven and Kabylake R though currently leaning towards Intel now.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

How much can it improve in the next 6 months? 10~30%? marek agd5f Michael

Comment

I'm long over due for a upgrade. I am refunding Deus ex it does not support my Phenom II because of lack of ssse3 support. SSS3 is supported with even a older core 2 duo. I wonder what instructions these newer amd cpu's lack vs Intel ones. If amd cpu's lack instruction future game titles will simply not work,

Comment

Originally posted by PackRat View Post
            I'm long over due for a upgrade. I am refunding Deus ex it does not support my Phenom II because of lack of ssse3 support. SSS3 is supported with even a older core 2 duo. I wonder what instructions these newer amd cpu's lack vs Intel ones. If amd cpu's lack instruction future game titles will simply not work,
            Nice troll post. Comparing AMD Ryzen to Haswell/SkyLake-not-X, the Intel CPUs lack the SHA instruction set that the AMD Ryzen CPUs do support. SkyLake-X has introduced the new AVX-512 that AMD CPUs currently don't support, but that is very unlikely to be a hard requirement in the near (10-20 years) future.

SSSE3 was introduced with Core 2 Duo, so it's no wonder it's supported by it but not by the AMD CPU from a similar time frame. If Deus Ex doesn't support your CPU it's their problem.

Comment

Interesting to note that the difference between a Ryzen 5 2400G vs the same CPU with a RX 550 is bigger on Linux than on Windows. I imagine that these new APU will gain a reasonable amount of performance on the coming months.

Comment

Originally posted by Wielkie G View Post

Nice troll post. Comparing AMD Ryzen to Haswell/SkyLake-not-X, the Intel CPUs lack the SHA instruction set that the AMD Ryzen CPUs do support. SkyLake-X has introduced the new AVX-512 that AMD CPUs currently don't support, but that is very unlikely to be a hard requirement in the near (10-20 years) future.

SSSE3 was introduced with Core 2 Duo, so it's no wonder it's supported by it but not by the AMD CPU from a similar time frame. If Deus Ex doesn't support your CPU it's their problem.
                I was not trolling fanboy.

Comment

Originally posted by PackRat View Post

I was not trolling fanboy.
                  That your almost decade old CPU is missing an instruction isn't surprising. That you're trying to game with it is though.
                  But, like you said you're overdue for an upgrade, just don't expect your new CPU to still run everything in the year 2027.

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post
                    just don't expect your new CPU to still run everything in the year 2027.
                    Why not?

Comment

I remember seeing from other benchmarks that 720p vs 1080p makes a greater performance impact than increasing detail level. I suppose this makes sense - considering the APUs are starving for bandwidth, increasing the resolution demands more from memory, while increasing things like AA, shadow detail, or ambient occlusion puts more load on the processor itself (which doesn't matter when it's not under full load).

I think if you were to play games at 720p with medium texture detail (to help reduce memory bandwidth) and cranked up all the other settings to the max, these would likely match the RX 550. At 720p with modern games, I don't think you'd notice a difference between medium texture settings vs high settings on 1080p. I found that in most modern games, I can't tell the difference between "high" and "ultra" when using 1080p.

Kinda inspires me to make a mini portable gaming system, with maybe a 10" 720p display.
                      Last edited by schmidtbag; 16 February 2018, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X