Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Vega 8 Graphics Performance On Linux With The Ryzen 3 2200G

Phoronix: AMD Vega 8 Graphics Performance On Linux With The Ryzen 3 2200G

Yesterday I posted the initial Ryzen 5 2400G Vega 11 Linux graphics benchmarks while for your viewing please today -- as well as this morning's 21-way Intel/AMD CPU Linux comparison that featured these new Raven Ridge APUs -- the results now completed are initial OpenGL and Vulkan performance figures for the Vega 8 graphics found on the Ryzen 3 2200G.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Interesting - seems the Vega 11 is a bit starved for memory bandwidth in some cases. Though it overall performs better, it seems there is lost potential in the 2400G.

I'm intrigued to see benchmarks (of either APU) involving different memory speeds.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      Interesting - seems the Vega 11 is a bit starved for memory bandwidth in some cases. Though it overall performs better, it seems there is lost potential in the 2400G.

I'm intrigued to see benchmarks (of either APU) involving different memory speeds.
      Don't leave us on a a cliffhanger, please elaborate.

I also am interested in how well these overclock, that 65 watt base seems like there is room to pump it up.

The bottom line question is -- is it good enough for X, Y and Z cases.

For the production of a low-cost small form factor Steam Machine that plays Terraria, MineCraft, Starbound, Source engine games and a lot of other content the answer is yes.

As for how much of the higher end it can dip into is still a little uncertain -- DOTA has got to hit that 60 FPS mark to match the refresh rate which with OC will happen easy.

I am really surprised that the Dota Vulkan renderer isn't more fine-tuned, I expect that by design it should be at least 10-30% faster than a optimized OpenGL version.

I could also see the introduction of a product named "Steam Machine Core" with a similar APU and dGPU would be external enclosure you could use on Laptop, Desktop and SteamOS as needed.

Comment

it isnt a bit starved, it is starved as hell, for performing at max performance it will need more than double the bandwidth around 100 GB/s

Comment

I plan to do some memory scaling benchmarks on Raven Ridge, probably will be done on Friday.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Windows drivers are with problems too, this new apu need optimization yet

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
              Don't leave us on a a cliffhanger, please elaborate.
              Elaborate on what? If you look at some of the tests, the Vega8 is barely behind Vega11 despite being roughly 25% worse.
              As for how much of the higher end it can dip into is still a little uncertain -- DOTA has got to hit that 60 FPS mark to match the refresh rate which with OC will happen easy.
              I'm sure it can be achieved if you tone down some of the detail levels a notch.

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
              it isnt a bit starved, it is starved as hell, for performing at max performance it will need more than double the bandwidth around 100 GB/s
              I don't think it's TOO starved. Though both GPUs perform pretty close to each other, there is a noticeable difference. They would overall perform the same if memory was such a drastic bottleneck. I guess we'll find out on Friday how much more bandwidth these actually need.

Comment

The performance changes significantly based on a few factors:
                - 2GB(maximum currently?) VRAM memory preset in the BIOS
                - 3200 MHz+ RAM(You get over 50% perf improvements compared to a DDR4 2133 MHz) - directly helps the CPU and GPU(relies on fast memory).
                - Overclocking the CPU(and RAM) - this also helps the integrated GPU.

Comment

Well : what's the cheapest freesync monitor?
                  Or cheapest 144Hz.

Comment

Michael, if your motherboard have the setting, it would be nice to test the 45W setup that those APUs have, to see how much it looses on performance, and how much it affects temperature and power consumption.

I'm almost buying one of this case for a HTPC, and since it is cramped inside, the lower the heat, the better.

Comment

Working...
                    X