AMD Vega 8 Graphics Performance On Linux With The Ryzen 3 2200G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
    Michael, if your motherboard have the setting, it would be nice to test the 45W setup that those APUs have, to see how much it looses on performance, and how much it affects temperature and power consumption.

I'm almost buying one of this case for a HTPC, and since it is cramped inside, the lower the heat, the better.
    As written in one of the articles today, I will be testing that in the next few days.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by grok View Post

Well : what's the cheapest freesync monitor?
      Or cheapest 144Hz.
      you want a freesync monitor with a fairly low range (there are a bunch of cheap ones that are 58hz-75hz) with one of these APUs

Comment

Good tests but this igpus is not enough for 1080p

However if you add 720p tests are more interesting, at least in windows shows good performance in 720p

Almost forget try compare with 2gb cards (GT 1030 - GTX 1050 - RX 550 - RX 460/560) because this igps dont allow more 2gb of shared memory

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Interesting - seems the Vega 11 is a bit starved for memory bandwidth in some cases. Though it overall performs better, it seems there is lost potential in the 2400G.
          Even Intel iGPUs are memory-starved, go figure how starved are APUs.

But in this case it's probably more of an immature drivers thing.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
            I'm almost buying one of this case for a HTPC, and since it is cramped inside, the lower the heat, the better.
            It may be cramped but it has a ton of slits for air. As long as you use some kind of fan you will be fine.

Given its design, the best way to mount the board would be upside-down with the fan sucking from the bottom and expelling to the sides, but of course they did not do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I plan to do some memory scaling benchmarks on Raven Ridge, probably will be done on Friday.
              The issue with memory spped has been there since day one of the first APU. This shoild surprise no one. It is the reason i want to see an APU with HBM built in.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

The issue with memory spped has been there since day one of the first APU. This shoild surprise no one. It is the reason i want to see an APU with HBM built in.
                Right but for those wondering the particular impact to know if e.g. spending extra for DDR4-3600 over DDR4-3200 is really worthwhile for your games, etc.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  It may be cramped but it has a ton of slits for air. As long as you use some kind of fan you will be fine.

Given its design, the best way to mount the board would be upside-down with the fan sucking from the bottom and expelling to the sides, but of course they did not do that.
                  Well, there is this other one. But when I said I'm almost buying one of those things is that I do not have much faith on their PSU. Over the years building PCs I learned that the secret for reliability is a good PSU. And the contraptions those cases have makes me rise a eyebrow. If you search Aliexpress for "itx aluminum" they will show a lot of cases, including some with a 1U PSU, that sounds cool except when you learn they have a 7000 RPM fan.

I already have this case, that can use a full ATX PSU and a ITX GPU (mine have a RX570 in it), but I am tempted to buy something smaller, and those cases I showed are about 3 times smaller (lower). I hate the internal organization of mine, and I strongly recommend anyone to not buy a case where the PSU is mounted above (in this case on the side) the CPU fan because is a pain in the ass to service it, since you have to remove the PSU to access the motherboard.

Maybe the best I should do is just buy a gpuless Ryzen and the respective mobo to upgrade the wimpy A8 7600, to use with the case and the RX570 I already have, and forget about smaller builds for now.

Comment

Originally posted by pinguinpc View Post
                    Good tests but this igpus is not enough for 1080p

However if you add 720p tests are more interesting, at least in windows shows good performance in 720p

Almost forget try compare with 2gb cards (GT 1030 - GTX 1050 - RX 550 - RX 460/560) because this igps dont allow more 2gb of shared memory

There are BIOS updates that are going to allow more apparently

Comment

Originally posted by pete910 View Post

There are BIOS updates that are going to allow more apparently
                      I was under the impression that was just an aperture, but the driver will allocate as much RAM as the driver actually needs. Is that wrong? In fact I'm pretty sure that was the whole point of GEM, Because TTM couldn't do it so GEM was devised to sort of "fill in the blanks" so to speak. It was specifically made for integrated graphics sharing system RAM. TTM is fine all by itself for discrete cards, but GEM wwas needed to make integrated cards viable.

Comment

Working...
                      X