Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Going To Take More Time To Get Vega Compute Support With The Mainline Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uentity
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post

We are working on a separate solution for OpenCL without PCIE atomics - with a bit of luck it will hit the next (18.10) release.
    I already had this insight info from this ROCm github issue, but thanks for double confirming this!
    Just a little question: when 18.10 is planned to be released?

Leave a comment:

• StillStuckOnSI
    replied

Pretty simple... we have been re-doing the Linux stack from bottom to top, rebuilding it around open source components, and so not all of the areas are going to get finished at the same time.

In 2016 we finished the kernel driver transition from fglrx to amdgpu open/PRO. In 2017 we got the major userspace graphics tasks finished (although open source Vulkan took longer than we hoped), and first part of 2018 should see similar progress on reconciling compute.
    This is amazing news

A quick question, if I may: does "reconciling compute" include support for OpenCL and/or ROCM support on GCN 1.0 cards (without using fglrx and pre-4.0 kernels)?

Leave a comment:

• RussianNeuroMancer
    replied
    Pretty simple... we have been re-doing the Linux stack from bottom to top, rebuilding it around open source components, and so not all of the areas are going to get finished at the same time.

In 2016 we finished the kernel driver transition from fglrx to amdgpu open/PRO. In 2017 we got the major userspace graphics tasks finished (although open source Vulkan took longer than we hoped), and first part of 2018 should see similar progress on reconciling compute.
    Hi! If possible, could you please ask engineers properly look into this? https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=196683 (Comment 115 and below).

Is anybody working on this issue? Is there ETA for solution?

Leave a comment:

• DrYak
    replied
    we have been re-doing the Linux stack from bottom to top, rebuilding it around open source components,
    {...}
    And big thumbs up and thank you to the whole AMD crew. Thanks for the good work.

Leave a comment:

• Rallos Zek
    replied
    Originally posted by Meteorhead View Post
    Indeed. The Linux driver landscape of AMD seems worse than ever. There are too many stacks to maintain and no uniform place to hook both compute and graphics into.
    You must be joking? I've been using Ati/Amd cards under Linux since 2002 outside a couple years having Nvidia and Intel GPUs, and the drivers ecosystem is better than ever. And the too many stacks you fud about goes for any modern desktop gpu driver under linux and the other OS'es that use free driver stacks.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by gnarlin View Post
    While the AMD drivers have improved immensely the last year or two why is it that they never seem to be able to reach a feature complete state? There is no major feature still missing from the windows versions is there? When will the only new code be optimizations and/or support for new hardware?

Last edited by bridgman; 29 January 2018, 11:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by uentity View Post
    It's a pity that we have another delay in proper OpenCL support for Vega. Right now I have close to zero OpenCL capabilities on my Vega 64 GPU, because my AMD FX 8120 GPU doesn't support PCIe atomics required for ROCm stack, and AMDGPUpro 'legacy' OpenCL dirver do not support Vega from the beginning.
    We are working on a separate solution for OpenCL without PCIE atomics - with a bit of luck it will hit the next (18.10) release.

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Originally posted by Meteorhead View Post
    Indeed. The Linux driver landscape of AMD seems worse than ever. There are too many stacks to maintain and no uniform place to hook both compute and graphics into.
    Well, they're not all that related. To my understanding, OpenGL does not share many similarities to OpenCL, just as it doesn't share many similarities with Vulkan. As far as I'm aware, having a "uniform place" would not improve anything. If anything, it would slow down development, since you have to consider regressions and following a single release schedule rather than multiple independent ones.

My personal gripe is how we have multiple driver options and none of them are unanimously better than the others. For example, OpenGL with radeonsi/amdgpu/amdgpu-pro, or Vulkan with RADV/amdgpu-pro, or OpenCL ROCm/amdgpu-pro. I understand that a lot of this is just a transition of closed source to open source, but this is where I find there is too much divided attention. I know there are different teams who work on this, but I think progress could be made faster if some of these developers all worked together on the same project.

Leave a comment:

• ThoreauHD
    replied
    What a bunch of lazy assholes. What are people supposed to do with AMD on Linux? They've sold out of every damned GPU and chip they got. You'd think they could bother to hire more than 1 developer without a fucking timeline. This is bordering on operational negligence.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by gnarlin View Post
    While the AMD drivers have improved immensely the last year or two why is it that they never seem to be able to reach a feature complete state? There is no major feature still missing from the windows versions is there?
    windows drivers have 100 times more customers, i.e. 100 times more funding

Leave a comment:

Working...
X