Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imagination Announces The PowerVR Series8XT GT8540 GPU

Phoronix: Imagination Announces The PowerVR Series8XT GT8540 GPU

The PowerVR Series8XT GT8540 is the latest graphics processor from Imagination Technologies and is designed to drive up to six 4K screens at 60 FPS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

They're still alive? Uh. Sooner or later those ARM manufactureres must take notice that those chips may be nice in terms of HW but definitely are "complete and utter garbage" in terms of SW.
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
      They're still alive?
      Not too mych of a feat when you're supplying GPUs for iPhones. Although their contact is ending so they'll have to get some good contracts soon.

Comment

And literally nobody in the linux world cares. These gpus are utter garbage if you want to use mainline

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
          Sooner or later those ARM manufactureres must take notice that those chips may be nice in terms of HW but definitely are "complete and utter garbage" in terms of SW.
          What Arm manufacturers? It's a long while since I last saw a mainstream chip using a PowerVR. Apart from Apple stuff of course.
          Everyone and their dog uses Mali

Comment

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
            Apart from the most popular, best selling and fastest tablets on the planet... yeah, nobody uses it.
            Most popular, best selling and fastest tablets on the planet? They're still using Mali.

Comment

What exactly are they testing with, glxgears? Because I don't see how this company could possibly accomplish 6x 4K displays at 60FPS in a small and efficient enough manner (remember: automotive use) using content that people actually want to see.

Comment

6x4K is 4.47 GB/s just to scan out the displays at 4K30 for six displays and 24 bit color depth. Obviously, you have to come up with something to *display*, so that's at least that much BW to write it as well assuming the graphics controller caches perfectly (lol). And you'll probably need to fetch texture, primitive, and vertex data as well....

Comment

from the article in their main site:
                  As more in-car infotainment systems move towards richer operating systems, such as Android which offer capabilities to run Apps, the importance of a GPU capable of full hardware virtualization to contain rogue apps is of increasing importance. Allowing a rich graphical environment for the infotainment system, safe in the knowledge that the dashboard and other critical displays will be unaffected by malware with a single PowerVR GPU, enables higher levels of system integration, reducing costs, whilst maintaining the safety critical requirements of the design.
                  Oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit.

We'll run the whole car interface on Android and use the same GPU to display all stuff in the car, from the useless shit to the critical info for the driver, and we will also connect this shit to CANbus so it can talk with all other hardware onboard the car, and connect that shit to the internet too because we believe you should give us telemetry while you watch our ads.

I can't.... I can't even begin to describe the level of completely unsafe and utterly useless bullshit this is reaching.

THE END IS NIGH!!!! THE PROPHECIES ARE BEING FULFILLED!!!

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    What exactly are they testing with, glxgears? Because I don't see how this company could possibly accomplish 6x 4K displays at 60FPS in a small and efficient enough manner (remember: automotive use) using content that people actually want to see.
                    I'm sure it will be fine if you don't plan to run Quake 3 or Doom 4 on your airplane cockpit.

Comment

Working...
                    X