X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zan Lynx
    replied
    Originally posted by Spooktra View Post
    People are going gaga over this drive as if the numbers mean anything to them, to me they mean squat in terms of how they relate to real world experience.
    The Star Citizen development teams are using Optane drives in their workstations. Faster compile times for programmers and fast loading of assets for artists and designers. It is a noticeable difference that probably adds up a few minutes at a time each day. It also makes them happier computer users.

Leave a comment:

• Spooktra
    replied
    I have one complaint with this review, and it's actually a complaint of mine regarding every single HDD/SSD review I have ever seen on any site, namely they do disk I/O tests that tell us nothing about how this drive will benefit a person in every day use.

I would like to see a test where the OS is installed on each drive and the PTS is run as if a cpu review was being done to see if the faster drive actually has any benefit in day to day tasks. The numbers I read here tell me nothing, run a 3d rendering benchmark, an encoding benchmark, a gaming benchmark, a large file copy from one drive to another, this that people actually use their computers for.

People are going gaga over this drive as if the numbers mean anything to them, to me they mean squat in terms of how they relate to real world experience.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by hontvari View Post
    You did not mention whether it has power loss protection capacitors. A few years ago they only put it into enterprise ssds. If it has not, then for me it is a dime a dozen. I can as well write my data to /dev/null, which is even faster.
    lol, buy ups

Leave a comment:

• MaxToTheMax
    replied
    I was going to budget for 64-128 GiB of RAM for my next build, but I think I'll do 32-64 GiB plus an Optane swap disk-- would cost less than a lot of the 128 GiB RAM kits out there and would probably be fast enough. This is a big statement coming from me, since I haven't used swap since about 2009, but it looks like the economics of storage vs RAM have made swap worth using again.

Michael-- would appreciate benchmarks comparing a large-memory configuration vs. Optane swap, if you have any suitable memory performance benchmarks in PTS.

Leave a comment:

• AndyChow
    replied
    Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post

You can buy PCIe x16 cards that provide 4 U.2 connectors each. I believe SuperMicro has a server design that does something like 20 NVMe drives through dual high-end Xeons and PCIe PLX switch chips.
    I can't seem to find any. I've seen quad M.2 pcie cards, but not U.2. If you could PM me a link for a quad U.2 card, I'd appreciate it.

Originally posted by boxie View Post

Not unless you go out and get a shiny new server with 8, 16 or 24 U.2 HDD bays... and, if you are going to build a large home nas using SSD, the 1t and 2t samsung evo drives are much cheaper atm and I would think you would be hard pressed to stress them enough
    I wouldn't use it for a NAS, but some transaction heavy things I do would definitely benefit from low latency. SSD get real slow sometimes. Even the 960 EVO drops to reads of 100 MB/s when you are doing a lot of random reads and have a low queue depth, which happens a lot if you are working with large datasets as a single user. TBH, I could do all that with a single one of these, and then backup to a redundant array when I'm done playing around. My comment was mostly about the M.2, Ultra M.2, U.2, Sata-express, Optane DIMM, and whatever else there probably is. There are too many "standards". Some take up PCIe lanes, some don't, and it's a total mess, IMO.

Leave a comment:

• torsionbar28
    replied
    Ho hum maybe one day I'll replace my WD RE hard drives with the new solid state stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by caligula View Post

This is something I also don't get. No offence but the Samsung drives Michael uses in the tests are already two years old. I've had 960 EVO for almost a year now.. Of course a new drive seems fast compared to legacy hardware. Even Core i3 is fast compared to Commodore 64..
    My 960 EVO died after ~1 month and the Samsung RMA process still hasn't accepted its return....

Leave a comment:

• Zan Lynx
    replied
    Originally posted by AndyChow View Post

I guess I got confused. The U,2 is a cable socket, not like the M.2 socket. You can get an M.2 socket to U.2, but it's not really elegant. I guess this is a transition period. There are so many hard-drive sockets, and no consumer board have 6-8 sockets like we have in SATA3. So we aren't about to build a RAIDZ2 at home soon with these drives.
    You can buy PCIe x16 cards that provide 4 U.2 connectors each. I believe SuperMicro has a server design that does something like 20 NVMe drives through dual high-end Xeons and PCIe PLX switch chips.

Leave a comment:

• caligula
    replied
    Originally posted by franglais125 View Post
    This is incredible.

I was at the same time wondering how it compares to (e.g.) a Samsung 960 Pro, not only wrt performance. Here are some numbers:

Optane 900p 280GB
    5.11 PB and a MTBF of 1.6 million hours
    Power: 5 Watts idle, 14 Watts load.
    5 year warranty

960Pro 512GB
    0.4 PB, and a MTBF of 1.5 million hours
    Power: 0.1 Watts (idle), 5 Watts (load)
    5 year warranty

So, in summary: more endurance (10x), but more power consumption (10x on average, depending on load). Perhaps not yet ideal for a laptop? Am I reading this right?

And yeah, I don't find this expensive, not with that performance.
    This is something I also don't get. No offence but the Samsung drives Michael uses in the tests are already two years old. I've had 960 EVO for almost a year now.. Of course a new drive seems fast compared to legacy hardware. Even Core i3 is fast compared to Commodore 64..

Leave a comment:

• boxie
    replied
    Originally posted by AndyChow View Post

I guess I got confused. The U,2 is a cable socket, not like the M.2 socket. You can get an M.2 socket to U.2, but it's not really elegant. I guess this is a transition period. There are so many hard-drive sockets, and no consumer board have 6-8 sockets like we have in SATA3. So we aren't about to build a RAIDZ2 at home soon with these drives.
    Not unless you go out and get a shiny new server with 8, 16 or 24 U.2 HDD bays... and, if you are going to build a large home nas using SSD, the 1t and 2t samsung evo drives are much cheaper atm and I would think you would be hard pressed to stress them enough

Leave a comment:

Working...
X