Dell Rolling Out More Developer-Focused Systems Preloaded With Ubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell Rolling Out More Developer-Focused Systems Preloaded With Ubuntu

Phoronix: Dell Rolling Out More Developer-Focused Systems Preloaded With Ubuntu

Canonical has announced that Dell is rolling out five new systems pre-installed with Ubuntu Linux. These systems are catering towards developers and come from all-in-one computers to new laptop models...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The best quick link to buy is http://dell.com/developers

Comment

I'm waiting for Ryzen Mobile. My current Asus 4k convertible with i7-7500U is holding up quite poorly after less than a year of owning it, and I'm voting with my wallet to not support backdoored devices (EME).

Comment

*ahem*

*inhale*

Developers developers developers developers

Comment

Originally posted by squash View Post
          I'm waiting for Ryzen Mobile. My current Asus 4k convertible with i7-7500U is holding up quite poorly after less than a year of owning it, and I'm voting with my wallet to not support backdoored devices (EME).
          I am hoping that Dell picks up the Ryzen in their Latitude line. I want something like the E5470 with an AMD Ryzen and 1080p display. I like the 14" size display/laptops.

Comment

Originally posted by squash View Post
            Unfortunatly, AMD's PSP is basically their own version of Intel's ME.

Comment

As a hobbyist C coder myself I hate it when developers get access to the latest and greatest hardware. Some need it yes, but most of the developers should be on Pentium III systems with 128MB of RAM on 800x600 resolution most of the time. That way developers would learn how to write efficient code and optimize screen space!... HAH!!! so there!

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

But these are not new news. I mean precision m3520, m5520, m7520 and 7720 are available for quite some time now (already am waiting for and am so curious to see what their successors will be like) what is more, since very early days these computers were introduced, in Dell US shop the one can choose Linux as OS and Linux OS at Dell is Ubuntu Linux. I am tracking this for a half year already. And even longer, if we count time I have put my eyes on 7510, 5510 and 3510.
                Last edited by Danas_Anis; 14 November 2017, 05:10 PM.

Comment

I wish they would release a version with coreboot.

Comment

If opting for Ubuntu 16.04 LTS over Windows 10, it does drop around $107 USD off the price of the hardware.
                    About 2/3 of a Windows 10 license – looks reasonable to me! It wasn't always the case with Dell, but I do expect to pay less for a PC without the Windows fee, with some of that money going to Dell simply for caring about Linux. Not for what's on the SSD – I don't mind installing.
                    Last edited by andreano; 14 November 2017, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X