Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G-Homa WiFi Smart Meter ETH+XMR Mining Power Efficiency

Phoronix: G-Homa WiFi Smart Meter ETH+XMR Mining Power Efficiency

German Phoronix reader Thomas Frech is back with another guest post on the topic of ETH/XMR mining under Linux. This time around he's sharing some power efficiency numbers using a new G-Homa WiFi smart meter. See his past articles in this series here...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have never bothered with mining for crypto-currencies and honestly I do not see the point unless you are actually contributing something valuable back to the world. My computers run BOINC during their idle periods and I choose to support projects such as rosetta at home and dennis at home. As far as I know there is no crypto-currencies that at the same time support fighting diseases... or is there???!

I think that "little computer people" like most of us hanging around here should perhaps think about the fact that we probably have a terrible diet, sit way to much, don't sleep enough, are probably overweight and don't get sufficient sun exposure and end up with vitamin D deficiency. The result can easily be diseases triggered by this entertaining lifestyle such as cancers, diabetes, heart failure and perhaps a blood cloth or two in your brain (of legs if you are lucky).

I therefore think that the computing power that you don't use should better be directed towards medical research that can benefit us all instead of crypto-currencies. Folding/Rosetta/Dennis- at home is projects that probably will be of benefit to someone - perhaps even yourself!

Computing is fun and it's gonna kill a lot of us anyway, so why not give something back!

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

So, how many decades before you pay off your power generation equipment and server hardware after considering cost of power, space rental, repairs, and paying yourself a subsistence wage to manage it?

These are the things nobody ever talks about when they talk about the profitability of blockchain work, because if they do, the answer is they never break even, and they don't want to admit that they are making a net loss.

Comment

Cool experiment. Don't let your money machine make you broke! ;- )

Comment

Originally posted by linuxgeex View Post
          These are the things nobody ever talks about when they talk about the profitability of blockchain work, because if they do, the answer is they never break even, and they don't want to admit that they are making a net loss.
          x2, the only ones profiting are the massive Chinese mining operations that have a warehouse full of miners and complete IT staff to manage it all. They buy in bulk and always get the earliest batches of new equipment for max returns. Home hobbyists are last in line, and pay the most at retail, so if they break even they're lucky. I suspect much of what gets sold as "new" to hobbyists, is actually used equipment from Chinese mining farms...

The only way for a hobbyist to profit is by an increase in the market price. By pure luck, I mined a bunch of BTC on some Radeon 7850 cards back in 2013. Sold about half of my coins back in 2013 for ~$100 per coin and thought that was so amazing. Lol. But I still have the other half of my coins

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
            I have never bothered with mining for crypto-currencies and honestly I do not see the point unless you are actually contributing something valuable back to the world. My computers run BOINC during their idle periods ....
            ...Computing is fun and it's gonna kill a lot of us anyway, so why not give something back!
            Have a look at GridCoin then
            Gridcoin is a cryptocurrency which rewards volunteer distributed computation performed on the BOINC platform on top of Proof of Stake.

Keep on BOINC'ing and earn some coin.
            The only changes/limitations are that your BOINC project accounts have to be a member of Team GridCoin (there are discussions about removing this requirement in the future)
            and you only earn coins when crunching projects that are on the whitelist http://www.gridcoin.us/Guides/whitelist.htm

Comment

i'm going to tell a secret. in italy, we pay 0,04 kwh if you actually declare that house as your primary residency, while 0,06 if you are just domiciliated. But every calculator online i try never gives me such figures of returns of investment.

Comment

Our combined income of Monero+Ethereum is:

0,031XMR*102€*30 = 94,86€
                0,88379ETH*280€ = 247,46€
                Total: 341€ per month

We produce 63% of our power needs as a plus from our heat and power plant system this means 0,37*341€=126,17€. That 126€ is our profit per month for a 1900X+1920X CPU and 6 AMD VEGA-64 combined systems.
                Am I missing something or does this make no sense?

Shouldn't he be calculating "(mining income per month) - 0.37*(power cost per month)" so 341 - 0.37*361.2= 207.356€ instead?

Comment

Given that I mine on hardware that I originally purchased for non-mining purposes, and that the mining that I'm doing is making me more money than the power bills, I'm just gonna go ahead and declare that the hardware itself is a sunk cost and should not factor into the profitability of mining. Furthermore, I live in the same space that the mining occurs in, and if the hardware weren't mining, I'd still be paying the same for the apartment. The apartment is a sunk cost, from the point of view of the mining. Beyond this, I enjoy messing with the equipment to get it to do these interesting things. All told, basically everything that isn't power costs are, in my own calculations, non-applicable to the profitability of my mining.

Comment

wow, German electricity is expensive. Here in the UK I'm with Octopus (one of the cheaper ones which doesn't have terrible customer service).
                    Checking latest,
                    The current and historical list of all our tariffs, searchable by postcode

I pay £0.145 per kWh, which is less than €0.17 per kWh at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                    X