X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by speculatrix View Post
    look at the single thread rating
    https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2875&cmp[]=2506
    Still half the rating of the i5 U processor I posted above (which is from 2014), which still proves my point. It's better, but nothing worth mentioning if compared to PC hardware.

I was answering someone that wanted to compare them with Mac Minis, context is relevant.

They are great for embedded/IoT, but will lose to any half-modern PC really.
    Last edited by starshipeleven; 06 November 2017, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      Technicalities are irrelevant, I'm talking of raw performance. Late Atoms didn't change much.
      Being wrong is not a technicality. You don't know what you're talking about and incapable of admitting it. When somebody shows proof, you move the goalposts or change the subject.

...and yes, these are slower than Intel's big cores. Nobody ever said they were comparable - they were designed to compete with ARMs. The point is that they're cheap, power efficient, and still pretty fast. And getting faster with each new architecture (Silvermont was 2-way superscalar, Goldmont is 3-way, and Goldmont+ is 4-way).

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
        Being wrong is not a technicality. You don't know what you're talking about and incapable of admitting it. When somebody shows proof, you move the goalposts or change the subject.

...and yes, these are slower than Intel's big cores. Nobody ever said they were comparable - they were designed to compete with ARMs. The point is that they're cheap, power efficient, and still pretty fast. And getting faster with each new architecture (Silvermont was 2-way superscalar, Goldmont is 3-way, and Goldmont+ is 4-way).
        See the post https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...722#post987722

I was answering to a guy that asked a comparison with Mac Minis, so a 20% more or less power does not change the end result (= still around half the power of a lower end processor of a Mac mini).

And no I know what I'm talking about, I know embedded atoms, they are in a ton of big name networking appliances, for example. https://www.servethehome.com/intel-a...ies-bug-quiet/

They just lose to any half-decent PC.

Comment

But when you are just trying to do normal computer things you've got a real quad core PC. I never thought we would get down to that (given a decade ago or more a fast single core PC under Windows XP with no antivirus was very enjoyable to use) but it helps with crapware and antivirus (Windows) or overhead in linux (Xorg and unaccelerated browsers and stuff)

It also allows fanless laptops that look like an Apple but more reliable, with more ports and $300 or less. Although it will be better with newer memory standards (for higher capacity) and hopefully less of a DRAM production shortage in the near future.

Otherwise I usually argue for single-thread performance (e.g. the last several gens of almost 3GHz desktop Celeron seem stupidly fast and ought to still be better overall)
          Firefox 57 is coming with better multi-threading and multi-processing (plus less overhead overall)
          Hoping 59 will be a great release.

Comment

Compulab any updates on availability? Considered ordering it through your website but shipping was $55 to California. When will it hit Amazon?

Need a new pfSense rig very soon.

Comment

Students who are looking for a homework helper to achieve better marks this is the best website for them. Hire our excellent finance homework help.
              Students who are looking for a homework helper to achieve better marks this is the best website for them. Hire our excellent finance homework help.

Comment

Working...
              X