No announcement yet.

StarTech 2.5-Inch Aluminum External Disk Enclosure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would have chosen something better. That's some shit you'd find in a landfill. It's 2017. No need to go full ChiCom ghetto on enclosures anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

"Aluminum" is proper in American English...

Typos:

You're kidding =O
      Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post

You're kidding =O
        He isn't kidding. There are differences between British and American English, such as the pronunciation of the word "lieutenant."
        Last edited by wdb974; 06 November 2017, 11:31 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post

You're kidding =O
          He's not. Go research some of the history about the word.

Also, when you can answer why it's "platinum" and not "platinium", I'll accept your opinion on aluminum vs. aluminium.

Originally posted by wdb974 View Post

He isn't kidding. There are differences between British and American English, such as the pronunciation of the word "leutenant."
          You're missing an i in there. Lieutenant.

Comment

Originally posted by wdb974 View Post

He isn't kidding. There are differences between British and American English, such as the pronunciation of the word "lieutenant."
            The tongue-in-cheek nature of my second post is obviously lost on both of you. I was merely making a VERY POINTED poke at US spelling by 'correcting' Michael's use of aluminium. Just a bit of humour, nothing more.

And for the lexicographically inclined, here's the guy who pretty much 'invented' US spelling: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merriam-Webster
            Hi

Comment

Originally posted by Niarbeht View Post
              You're missing an i in there. Lieutenant.
              And this is why I dislike English spelling. Pronounce things differently, but keep the oh-so-sacred original spelling for some useless reason.

Comment

But that made English an easy language for international. Half the words are either Latin, ancient Greek or straight from French (or several of these categories e.g. some words are both Latin and Greek or both Latin and French).

Here lieutenant is strictly French - "tenant" is also an English word (which doesn't exist as a noun in French, it's the "-ing" form of a verb there)
                "Lieu" means "place". Now I don't know how the French word evolved/deteriorated into that form but a related adjective in French is "local" (from which derives another French noun : "local". one sense of which is used the same in English : "The locals"). This is the same thing as in "localization" and thus this pretty awesome word : l10n (which avoids localisation vs localization issue). Localization packages allow many users to (hope to) understand what their software is doing.

The Latin noun is, locus, which is also a valid noun in both French and English (but in French is used strictly for scientific purposes).

If you're peeved, I guess you should petition for the word to be changed to "locustenant"
                Last edited by grok; 08 November 2017, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X