Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thunderbolt Networking Support For Linux Still Being Worked On

Phoronix: Thunderbolt Networking Support For Linux Still Being Worked On

New kernel patches have been posted for enabling Thunderbolt networking support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is PCIe over thunderbolt supported in Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by kravemir View Post
      External PCIe is the raison d'ĂȘtre of Thunderbolt. It has been supported on Linux for a few years now. Several laptop vendors have Thunderbolt attached docking stations. The devices in the dock appear in 'lspci' output.

Comment

Thunderbolt *is* PCIe (+ displayport).
        Besides, the way the news is written makes you think that thunderbolt networking currently does not work under linux but I've got a thunderbolt port since 3 years on my macbook pro which always worked just fine with a thunderbolt <-> ethernet adapter (which is basically an external PCIe network card).

Comment

Deleted: I was completely wrong.
          Last edited by FLHerne; 02 October 2017, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
            Thunderbolt *is* PCIe (+ displayport)....
            So, if device's (laptop) documentation states, that it contains Thunderbolt compatible/certified USB-C, then that port certainly supports DisplayPort Alternate Mode?

Is DP Alternate mode for Thunderbolt the same thing as DP Alternate mode for USB-C? Or, does it somehow differ, ie. initiation/negotiation of used protocol?

Comment

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post

Thunderbolt *is* PCIe (+ displayport).
              Besides, the way the news is written makes you think that thunderbolt networking currently does not work under linux but I've got a thunderbolt port since 3 years on my macbook pro which always worked just fine with a thunderbolt <-> ethernet adapter (which is basically an external PCIe network card).
              I wasn't as lucky. I got a work laptop (Fifth gen Lenovo thinkpad x1 carbon) and a compatible Lenovo thunderbolt 3 dock, and pretty much expected everything to work under Linux. Well, the only thing that actually works on the dock are the displayports and HDMI. No USB, no Ethernet. Tried with newest kernel versions as well. No luck.

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
                I wasn't as lucky. I got a work laptop (Fifth gen Lenovo thinkpad x1 carbon) and a compatible Lenovo thunderbolt 3 dock, and pretty much expected everything to work under Linux. Well, the only thing that actually works on the dock are the displayports and HDMI. No USB, no Ethernet. Tried with newest kernel versions as well. No luck.
                Much of the consumer Thunderbolt 3 hardware was plagued by firmware issues early on. I would see if there's any available firmware updates for the laptop and/or the dock.

Comment

So, if device's (laptop) documentation states, that it contains Thunderbolt compatible/certified USB-C, then that port certainly supports DisplayPort Alternate Mode?

Is DP Alternate mode for Thunderbolt the same thing as DP Alternate mode for USB-C? Or, does it somehow differ, ie. initiation/negotiation of used protocol?
                  Thunderbolt 3 and DP are both alternate modes for USB-C. There isn't a DP alternate mode for Thunderbolt 3 as such, however thunderbolt 3 ports (almost?) always support DP too.

Comment

Thunderbolt in its currentl revision is limited to DisplayPort 1.2, while there is no such limit for DisplayPort alternate mode.

Comment

Working...
                    X