No announcement yet.

The Passive Cooling Paradigm: Atlast Solutions Ultimate Fanless Core i7 7700T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Passive Cooling Paradigm: Atlast Solutions Ultimate Fanless Core i7 7700T

Phoronix: The Passive Cooling Paradigm: Atlast Solutions Ultimate Fanless Core i7 7700T

For your Linux hardware interest this evening is a reader-contributed guest review of the Atlast Solutions Ultimate Fanless Core i7 7700T under Linux. Thanks to Luuk van der Duim for testing this fanless computer and sharing his results with us at Phoronix. Reader opinion pieces, Linux hardware reviews, and other article are happily accepted by contacting us...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thank you for placing the x264 benchmark first!

Also, typos:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    with RS-323 ports
    What?

​​​​​​
    Originally posted by phoronix
    With these it’s cooling specifications
    time in Linux kernel scheduler with the Powerclamp driver.
    (possible missing 's?)

mostly the same and therefor their performance

Comment

It is a very slick little package though... nice !
      Test signature

Comment

Impressive performance from a fanless pc.

Comment

Please include the BIOS values that caused the high power usage. I couldn't find those anywhere in the article.

Comment

This simply looks like some variation of the Nanum TC-5. An off-the-shelf notsocheap mini-itx case.

I built a i7-6700 (65W, not a 35W T variant) based mini-itx machine with a Nanum-TC5 a few years ago to function as a build machine. It was supposed to be stealthy, low height so it could sit under a desk and bitbake for me, illegally. This was the sort of customer where people ran ubuntu in a VM on windows with spinning disks and pathetic amounts of RAM. They'd bitbake around noon, and then go for lunch for the rest of the day.

The namum case, although rated for this wattage, just did not work. The 6700 brought the case up to temperature in just 10-15minutes, and after that, it hit thermal throttling all the time. It would then need another hour to cool down. And it takes two hours and a whole big tube of thermal paste to set this system up.

I ended up getting a wesena case which wasted less space and was not as heavy, and sticking a low height noctua fan on top, flipping the fan over so it would suck air out to the top, and that almost never hit thermal throttling.

The intel T variant is needed when you build a system like this, do not believe the ratings of the manufacturer.
            Last edited by libv; 22 August 2017, 05:17 AM.

Comment

Getting an "SSL Record too long" error when trying to visit the case link.

A non-https link works though. http://www.impactics.com/c3lh-b/

Comment

bit of shameless self-promotion

(original post, May 20th 2017) It's been some time since I started this build... The leading idea behind the project was to make fully fan-less, yet fairly performant system, while trying to keep the size in check. With the recent power-efficient 65W TDP Ryzens this had finally become a...

(original post, May 20th 2017) It's been some time since I started this build... The leading idea behind the project was to make fully fan-less, yet fairly performant system, while trying to keep the size in check. With the recent power-efficient 65W TDP Ryzens this had finally become a...

Well done, our setups for the gpu look quite similar. Can you please run firestrike? With my latest stable overclock I score 8271 for graphics (physics: 5896, total: 6631). You should get a much higher Physics (and overall) score having 8 cores and all. My build Here is where we differ a...

Comment

@tildearrow
                  Good catches! I meant to type 'RS-232', and indeed missing apostrophe s's. I'll (try to) do better next time, okay? I do appreciate your critical readership and hope the article was otherwise a good read.

Comment

I have long considered building a fanless computer for my upgrade this year.

In the end, for pretty much the same money I treated myself with a Ryzen 7 1800X, 32 GiB of RAM and a Fractal Design Define C case. A Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4 is keeping the CPU very cool. The Gigabyte AORUS GA-AX370-Gaming 5 lets you freely configure the fan's power curve which I've used to keep all fans (case and CPU) off. Even after an hour of heavy usage, temperatures were firmly in the safe area.

In the end however I tuned it so the fans would run even in the safe temperature range as I've discovered that I still can't hear the computer anyway. To detect any noise I have to put my ear right next to the case and as it's standing below my desk, that just never happens. What I have discovered though is how much noise a room can contain on its own, even when living in a rather quiet place.

So for the same money one can build a for all intents and purposes equally quiet system with more than twice the performance and much better upgradability. Thanks to my trusty old Radeon R9 270X, I can enjoy the occasional flight in FlightGear including it's stunning visuals

Comment

Working...
                    X