FSF Certifies Another Batch Of Old Hardware For Respecting Your Freedom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FSF Certifies Another Batch Of Old Hardware For Respecting Your Freedom

Phoronix: FSF Certifies Another Batch Of Old Hardware For Respecting Your Freedom

The Free Software Foundation has endorsed fifteen "new" devices under their Respects Your Freedom (RYF) certification...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The T400 and friends... AGAIN. How are there enough of these ancient thinkpads still in circulation that are still working that they can still be selling them, and how are there enough fools willing to buy these things that they're a sustainable business even at their 10x markup?

Comment

I run old hardware (and new), so the age of the laptop doesn't bother me. I'm more interested in ensuring I've got the latest, secure software running on top of it. I don't use computers for videogames, so I'm sure a T400 or T500 would work fine for me.

However, I agree that Technoethical's prices seem high. A good comparison is to look at Libreboot laptops sold by the British firm Minifree.

Minifree is selling the T400 with 4G ram and 160G hard drive for 198 euros, or an 8G ram model for 298 euros. But Technoethical has an 8G ram and 160G hard drive model listed for 568 euros. Nearly twice as much for the same laptop (both list the same CPU). Minifree is charging 178 euros for Libreboot installation if you provide the laptop, while Technoethical is charging 248 euros for the same service. I wonder if Technoethical is listing higher starting prices, but is willing to negotiate down? Maybe price negotiation is a cultural thing in Romania? I know that most American and British shops tend to charge the price as marked, with no negotiating.

Comment

Frankly, I'm more interested in that mPCIe WiFi card they're selling. For a completely free card, it's got almost everything I'd want (no BT but that's okay, and I have no need or desire for AC WiFi). More expensive than the Gigabyte+Intel card I like, but this one's good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
          Brainwashing people with expensive fsf religion is not respecting freedom. Fsf believers will burn me because of this comment. Running Debian testing Xfce in a new HP Amd A12-9700P laptop is enough free software usage.

Comment

Brainwashing people with expensive fsf religion is not respecting freedom. Fsf believers will burn me because of this comment. Running Debian testing Xfce in a new HP Amd A12-9700P laptop is enough free software usage.

Comment

Ha ha 618€ ?!?!? Overpriced, just to expensive

... from Stalman's Junkyard. FSF certified, also. What a joke ...

1280×800 TFT LCD resolution to old, by modern standards

Better reflash firmware myself on second a hand laptop and gaining experience also, at a much lower price.

Last edited by onicsis; 08 July 2017, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by onicsis View Post
                1280×800 TFT LCD resolution to old, by modern standards
                According to reality that resoultion is 5th most used desktop resolution:

http://gs.statcounter.com/screen-res...ktop/worldwide

That 1366x768 is still most used, even in NA alone

http://gs.statcounter.com/screen-res.../north-america

In US alone, 1366x768 might be second but only maybe next month or so even there it is still first or to say near equal to FHD

http://gs.statcounter.com/screen-res...tes-of-america

Worldwide would need another 3-5 years or so
                Last edited by dungeon; 09 July 2017, 02:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                  That 1366x768 is still most used, even in NA alone
                  That's the case also worldwide.
                  I'm really starting to think you'll still find 1366x768 TN screens in consumer devices even after my eventual demise.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                    The T400 and friends... AGAIN. How are there enough of these ancient thinkpads still in circulation that are still working that they can still be selling them, and how are there enough fools willing to buy these things that they're a sustainable business even at their 10x markup?
                    You can check ebay, these aren't rare laptops. The good thing about laptops like this: They are new enough they can still be useful. They are old enough to be monetarily close to worthless. Its a good second, third, fourth, or even fifth laptop for someone who wants a laptop to play around on, and if you are modifying the firmware, no one is going to cry if you break it.

You are also recycling, so you're saving laptops from the graveyard. From this perspective, these laptops are perfect for this. You are giving old hw a second life they likely wouldn't otherwise get.

Comment

Working...
                    X