No announcement yet.

Asus ROG Strix GL702ZC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Edit: Well, apparently there was a problem with my laptop. The GPU just completely died and I'm having to RMA it. I'll let you know how Asus' RMA process is I guess... :-/
    Last edited by TMM_; 26 November 2017, 12:39 PM.

Comment

I got a new laptop the same day. So far I'm very happy with the RMA procedure! So, that's good, at least

Comment

I've had some luck undervolting the RX580 which actually improved performance. Some superposition (1080p medium) numbers:
        Score min FPS avg FPS max FPS min temp max temp Avg pwr Avg temp Throttles
        Stock Voltages 4591 29.30 34.34 44.66 64.0C 83.0C 65.0 W 76.0 C 167
        Undervolted 5041 16.16 37.61 49.58 64.0C 80.0C 56.4 W 73.6 C 1
        Baseline power consumption with the dpm performance level set to 'auto' is roughly identical. With dpm performance level forced to 'high' baseline power consumption goes from 20W to 15W.

In Deus Ex all stutters seem to be gone from regular play and temps stay around 74C in 1080p on 'high' settings. Previously the card would go over 80C all the time with a lot of noise and thermally throttle causing slowdowns.

I used OhGodATool with the following script:
        Code:
        for state in {0..7}; do
          ./ohgodatool -i 0 --core-state ${state} --core-vddc-idx 8
        done
        ./ohgodatool -i 0 --mem-state 1 --mem-vddc-idx 9
        This should set core voltage to 0.850V for all powerformance levels supported by the standard powerplay tables (basically this just runs the GPU at 1077MHz at all time, the powerplay limit for the RX580 in this laptop, on Windows also). This can be combined with an OC, I ran some small tests with that, but that kind of defeats the purpose for me so I'm running this at the 'stock' speeds as designed for this machine.

Fan noise is also down while playing with this.

This was all done on Fedora 27, with a custom Linux 4.14.2 kernel.
        Last edited by TMM_; 29 November 2017, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Small update: I upgraded to 4.15.0-rc2, with dc disabled for the chip everything still works as expected including the voltage hack. With dc enabled however the screen doesn't work quite right, likely because dithering isn't getting enabled leading to a much lower color palette. In addition with dc enabled the voltage hack causes stability problems.

The bug on the panel is here: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=104090

Comment

Hello everybody !

I just bought this few beauty few days ago and i have a huge problem with him, amd-v virtualization.

This was the main reason picking him because i work alot with this type of programs and i cant believe this monster ryzen doesnt have it.

I used leo moon cpu-v and as we all know amd-v its supported but cant be enabled.

I have a big question for you guys, this option will be 100% available in next update? For me its very important and im thinking to return the product, i have 8 more days maximum to do that.

Thank you in advance.

Comment

You should bring the matter to Asus like TMM_ did, making them realize that this is important to support/enable, and even crucial to you.

Comment

Originally posted by adidom View Post
                I have a big question for you guys, this option will be 100% available in next update? For me its very important and im thinking to return the product, i have 8 more days maximum to do that.
                Asus told me and others that it would be available in the next BIOS update. I don't know if this is a guarantee or something they are simply striving for. If you absolutely must have it I'd return it if I were you. I'm temporarily using systemd-nspawn containers instead of vms for my work which so far has worked fine (LXC is another option). But if you need to actually run different operating systems then this is not an option obviously.

There's also an option of using an external flasher to upload a BIOS with the flag enabled. There is a guide online on how to do this but this is obviously not for the faint of heart. I'll probably go that route if the next BIOS doesn't have SVM enabled however.

So it really comes down to your willingness to risk this.

Comment

Hi all, I bought an ROG Strix GL702ZC (https://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-Strix-GL702ZC/specifications/) it hasn't arrived yet but I was

I would be greatful if you tell me where to send messages or call, because in my country nothing will happen 90% of the time, i send them 3 times on 2 different facebook accounts and message "seen" only.

I call them also at the support and they told me to give my email to send me something i already know and have 0 utility.

Hi all, I bought an ROG Strix GL702ZC (https://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-Strix-GL702ZC/specifications/) it hasn't arrived yet but I was

Thank you for your thoughts, overall i love this laptop and all his performances but i hate this small thing bothers me so much.

About Asus i hope they keep their word and somehow manage to solve this problem faster.

If you have time TMM_, can you tell me more about "I'm temporarily using systemd-nspawn containers instead of vms for my work which so far has worked fine (LXC is another option)" and "external flasher to upload a BIOS with the flag enabled" ?

I dont know about those programs and never heard about them before.

Comment

Hello guys.

I see posts claiming the gl702zc does not have virtualisation, and I cant completely follow.

I used the kernel provided by tmm (which I am grateful for); and kvm just works without changing/finding anything in the BIOS (version 300)

In other words, my cpuflag "svm" is present.

Why dont I have this issue?

Comment

Originally posted by eggz View Post
                      Hello guys.

I see posts claiming the gl702zc does not have virtualisation, and I cant completely follow.

I used the kernel provided by tmm (which I am grateful for); and kvm just works without changing/finding anything in the BIOS (version 300)

In other words, my cpuflag "svm" is present.

Why dont I have this issue?
                      check your 'dmesg' for me (and others) you will get the following message :[Fri Dec 15 10:29:51 2017] kvm: disabled by bios

So the SVM CPU flag is present but the kvm kernel module can't load. At least that's the case for me.

Comment

Working...
                      X