Asus ROG Strix GL702ZC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TMM_ View Post

Yeah, but maybe it's better in your region? It seems that Asus contracts support out so I guess just as we got really unlucky maybe you will get lucky?
    Mine was handled in Texas. Where was your repair center?

Comment

• I'm in Europe

Comment

• Originally posted by tocsa View Post

Mine was handled in Texas. Where was your repair center?
        So the laptop stayed in a box, because I just didn't have time to deal with it during work hours. Now I spoke with ASUS again and it's clear that they want me to pay for shipping it in and to restore it to the state I originally sent it in beginning of this year.
        1. Does anyone know a US California lawyer who could advise me on this support case? It'd be small claims court. I'm willing to pay as much as the price of the laptop just so hopefully others won't get screwed like this. As I'm getting older I'm less likely to let things slide, it's a $1.5K laptop after all.
        2. I'd seriously disadvise anyone from buying ASUS laptops. The Acer Predator Helios 500 Ryzen has also several quirks (sound card Linux support, power management Linux support, ...) regarding Linux, but there are workarounds, it's cooling system is great and I never experienced crashes like with the ASUS GL702ZC or the MSI GT80 Titan.

Comment

• Originally posted by tocsa View Post

So the laptop stayed in a box, because I just didn't have time to deal with it during work hours. Now I spoke with ASUS again and it's clear that they want me to pay for shipping it in and to restore it to the state I originally sent it in beginning of this year.
          1. Does anyone know a US California lawyer who could advise me on this support case? It'd be small claims court. I'm willing to pay as much as the price of the laptop just so hopefully others won't get screwed like this. As I'm getting older I'm less likely to let things slide, it's a $1.5K laptop after all.
          2. I'd seriously disadvise anyone from buying ASUS laptops. The Acer Predator Helios 500 Ryzen has also several quirks (sound card Linux support, power management Linux support, ...) regarding Linux, but there are workarounds, it's cooling system is great and I never experienced crashes like with the ASUS GL702ZC or the MSI GT80 Titan.
          I gave up on a law suite, it'd be too much time and money. I lost a ton of money because of the lack of original packaging and since now the particular laptop has a failed RMA. I bought a set of laptop screws to supplement the missing ones and reconnected all of the cables (for one of which I needed to lift the motherboard PCB. All-in-all it got back to the state as it was, and it runs Windows fine, I performed Unigine Heaven and some Vegas Pro video encoding tasks (for the request of a potential buyer). I described the RMA ordeal in my eBay listing. Due to all of this it only sold just above $700 as opposed to what I see around $800 or so. I'm still more satisfied with my Acer Predator Helios 500 Ryzen (2700). That does not have Ryzen crashes, but the usual manufacturer BIOS problems are there: not properly supplied sound card wiring info (causes lack of ability to detect phone or mic connect-disconnect) and so on. But at least the cooling is way better, although the laptop itself is larger and heavier - trade-offs I'm glad to take.

All-in-all the GL 702 ZC operates very decent under Windows 10 with Ryzen manager and some essential software. I'd say it's better out of the box with it than with Linux for an average user.

Comment

• All right Guys, Just to state what is going on with my GL702ZC

This is not the original set . I myself did add a NVME 960GB and more 16GB of ram. Other than that with Fedora Linux it was rebooting and freezing like you guys described.
            Looking at ASUS web site I got the latest Firmware applied to the machine ( because I felt safe enough since in BIOS screen it never rebooted or freezed in any circunstances ). Before applying this Firmware every now en then it would reboot, freeze in black screen and go full power on the fans, etc,etc.

Now, I am counting 2 days and 15 hours up and I did put some load on it by simply running an emulated UNIX SO by qemu-ppc and everything looks terrific.

( The firmware applied was the one in the ASUS oficial site dated from September 2019.

Hope this helps

Comment

Working...
            X