Asus ROG Strix GL702ZC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all,

I also recently purchased ROG GL702ZC and am currently working on getting it fully operational with NixOS. It already mostly works, except for a couple of "kinks" that I'm having trouble working out. I'm somewhat new to in-depth Linux hardware wrangling so perhaps I'm missing something obvious - I'm hoping one of you might be able to point me in the right direction.

The issues:
    - if I suspend to RAM, the screen stays black on wake-up. External monitors are partially affected in that I can poke them back to life by switching to a virtual tty and back, but no such luck with the built-in screen. I have tried adjusting the backlight by writing to /sys/class/backlight/... and while my experiments worked when the screen was on they did nothing when the problem showed up. Actually power-cycling the laptop (i.e hibernating to disk and turning back on, or actually rebooting) restores the screen.

- the trackpad is entirely non-functional. I suspect I need to use/study TMM_'s kernel more for this one - I'll look into it once I get suspend working.

(very) basic info: I'm running what I believe to be stock kernel 4.15.15 and have the least interesting amdgpu + X11 + i3 setup I could manage. Let me know what else you might need, I'm not sure what is relevant.

Comment

Suspend to ram works with 4.16 with amdgpu.dc=1. As for the touchpad the .config in my repository should work unchanged with 4.16, that's how I run it now.

Comment

Thanks TMM_ - setting amdgpu.dc=1 fixed the resume problems (so apparently it also works with 4.15.15). This has made walking to another room a much better experience.

I'll look into the kernel .config as I have time in the next couple of days. Since I eventually hope to integrate this with NixOS's kernel configuration/rebuilding system, do you have any pointers in understanding how your .config works? i.e key areas I should focus on, since I imagine a lot of it is just "sane defaults".

Comment

Hi, happy new owner here, will need your help though ; )

It is really shame that ASUS have bad support in general and also aren't going to support this platform long term and to allow via BIOS updates the use of (ECC) DDR4 2666+ and newer 65W or less AMD Zen+/Zen2 CPUs. I don't think they are making this way a favor themselves but just the opposite.

I am running Debian testing with kernel 4.17 and

- the touch pad do not work at all ( I am not aware how exactly to configure and recompile the kernel)

- the bluetooth works but not the wifi, I guess this a bug which will be fixed with the next update of firmware-realtek: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugr...cgi?bug=905867

- I can turn on the keyboard backlight by
          echo 1 > /sys/class/leds/asus::kbd_backlight/brightness
          but this is all and the fn F3/F4 keys do not change the brightness

- the HDMI Audio do not work

Important ones:

- how to get the fans speed and more importantly (for my conky) the CPU voltages and CPU power consumption?
          lm-sensors do not show such info nor detect any sensors.

- how to manually undervolt the GPU and change states?
          I can change the value in /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_force_performance_level to auto or low or high but
          can't change /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_state to battery or balanced it always stays to performance

- RAM Upgrade. I am going to put 2x16GB (because with only 8GB RAM my swap is full now) but from what I read so far if is DDR4 2400 it will work at 2400 but if the RAM is faster like 2666 or 3000 it will always actually run at 2133MHz which is situation I am looking to avoid. The faster the RAM is better for me and also here 2666 is cheaper than 2400. Any info about this is welcome because I am going to purchase soon.

Thank you for your replays I like the friendly attitude in this forum : )

Comment

So, just tried with 2x16GB ADATA DDR4 2666 and the machine wont boot with either single or both of them. The original 8GB Samsung 2400 works. So disappointing of Asus trying to undermine AMD.

Comment

Pretty much same things to report. Debian Testing (Buster) with kernel 4.18.0-1-amd64
              Bluetooth works.
              Webcam works.
              Fn keys for Screen Brightness, and Volume work.
              Sound and microphone, all good.

Fn key for keyboard backlight does not. Solution is echo, tee or edit value into appropriate file..
              Code:
              tee /sys/class/leds/asus::kbd_backlight/brightness <<< 3
              Acceptable values from 1(lowest) - 3(brightest)
              I put the command in startup applications.

WiFi does not work. I even tried using firmware-iwlwifi (reported to work on ROG G752, which also has 0bda:57fa adapter.)
              In my case, on a ROG GL702, it did not work.
              Under Sid with kernel 4.18.0-2 the interface showed up, but still did not work.
              Wireless interface also showed up under Fedora Beta, but I didn't test whether or not it worked.

Touchpad not working on Buster, but is on Sid

Kb backlights were also working on Fedora kernel 4.18.5

Touchpad and kb lights working on both Fedora (4.18.5), and Arch with kernel 4.18.9

Battery life only 1 hour, after being optimized with powertop. Debian, Arch and Fedora, all shared this problem.

Comment

Been hacking away at my Arch install again, and from what I can tell, everything but the hdmi audio is working.
                I really wanted to get this working in Debian. I don't mind having to invoke the kbd backlight manually in Debian, but the wifi was the last big deal for me.

The connection information on nm-applet says it's using the r8822be driver, and here's what lsmod says: (I just showed a grep for r8822be, because nothing else looked particularly relevant)..
                Code:
                ~]$ lsmod | grep r8822be
                r8822be               958464  0
                mac80211              929792  1 r8822be
                cfg80211              782336  2 mac80211,r8822be
                Though, out of practise with a distro I haven't used for 3 years, it looks like I may be using Arch with my ROG GL702.
                After trying Buster, Sid, Fedora Beta, and Arch, I have ended up keeping Buster and Arch. I guess I'll just use Arch until Debian catches up.

That was Arch, now with kernel..
                Code:
                uname -r
                4.18.12-arch1-1-ARCH
                These are just the things I typically use, if there's anything else I can test that I haven't thought of, just ask.
                And maybe someone could tell me what that ROG Key, at the top of NumPad is supposed to do..

Comment

Ok, I didn't like the system sitting at 60 degrees C, with the fan sounding completely inactive, so I've been trying for 3 straight days to affect the fans.
                  psensor, under Ubuntu 18.04 shows a "fan1" in pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:0c:00.0 (which I suspect may have been a dud, anyway, reading at 0rpm)
                  psensor, under both Arch and Debian showed no fan whatsoever.
                  I tried modifying all sorts of seemingly ovious files, to no avail.
                  sensors-detect was detecting absolutely nothing, despite this I do get a few temp readings..

sudo sensors:
                  Code:
                  amdgpu-pci-0c00
                  Adapter: PCI adapter
                  vddgfx:       +1.00 V 
                  temp1:        +51.0°C  (crit = +94.0°C, hyst = -273.1°C)
                  power1:       11.09 W  (cap =  68.00 W)

acpitz-virtual-0
                  Adapter: Virtual device
                  temp1:        +51.0°C  (crit = +98.0°C)

k10temp-pci-00c3
                  Adapter: PCI adapter
                  Tdie:         +51.2°C  (high = +70.0°C)
                  Tctl:         +51.2°C
                  I tried all manner of softare including fancontrol, fancon, and thinkfan.
                  Ultimately, once again, Arch had the solution..

I installed (from the AUR, with yay) "nbfc-git" (the non-git version would not build for some reason).
                  nbfc already has a profile for the ROG702, so here's what you have to do with it, after install (it's very simple)..
                  Code:
                  sudo systemctl start nbfc
                  sudo systemctl enable nbfc
                  nbfc config -a "Asus ROG GL702VM"
                  If you get a "File Descriptor does not support writing" message..
                  Code:
                  sudo rm /opt/nbfc/Plugins/StagWare.Plugins.ECSysLinux.dll
                  .. and restart the service, and [nbfc config -a "Asus ROG GL702VM"] once again.

The profile seems to work well. A bit noisy at first, but once everything levelled out with temps a bit over 10 degrees lower, the noise is very minimal, and well worth it.

Comment

Have anyone experienced abrupt restarts?
                    Sometimes after restart I see this:

Code:
                    [ 0.052000] mce: [Hardware Error]: CPU 0: Machine Check: 0 Bank 5: bea0000000000108
                    [ 0.052000] mce: [Hardware Error]: TSC 0 ADDR 1ffff884f13b4 MISC d01200010100000 SYND 4d000000 IPID 500b000000000
                    [ 0.052000] mce: [Hardware Error]: PROCESSOR 2:800f11 TIME 1546836037 SOCKET 0 APIC 0 microcode 8001137
                    [ 0.070212] mce: [Hardware Error]: CPU 10: Machine Check: 0 Bank 5: bea0000000000108
                    [ 0.070212] mce: [Hardware Error]: TSC 0 ADDR 1ffff88968f10 MISC d01200010100000 SYND 4d000000 IPID 500b000000000
                    [ 0.070212] mce: [Hardware Error]: PROCESSOR 2:800f11 TIME 1546836037 SOCKET 0 APIC a microcode 8001137
                    I tracked down this issue, and seems like AMD Ryzen 7 hardware specific (generic CPU related, not GL702ZC).
                    Forums say you should disable SMT or uOP Cache in your BIOS, but I don't see that in the BIOS. Did anyone experience such restarts, and if yes, how did you overcome it?
                    Last edited by tocsa; 14 January 2019, 06:51 PM.

Comment

• Hi bananaqigong,

Thank you for your contribution. With nbfc I was able to achieve -10°C CPU temps with the trade off of little more noise. Only that I don't like using Mono so I am looking for alternative fan control with no luck so far.

Comment

Working...
                      X