Asus ROG Strix GL702ZC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Yeah, ROC is pretty new and there was some bugginess in the earlier releases. Right now use of it is scaling up fast and we are trying to stay ahead of the new use cases, but I would expect that the more recent releases are being reported as pretty stable.

If you are seeing something different on the more recent releases hints would be appreciated so we can go find & fix the issues.
    I was reading up a bit on ROCm and I came across this: https://rocm.github.io/hardware.html Is ROCm supported on the RX580 ? Has anyone with the GL702ZC tried setting up ROCm?

Comment

The 580 should be fine. I don't know if anyone has tried running ROCm on the GL702ZC yet but I would expect it to work. I'm still tempted to pick one of those up as my primary development system - if so will let you know how it goes.
      Test signature

Comment

The 580 should be fine. I don't know if anyone has tried running ROCm on the GL702ZC yet but I would expect it to work. I'm still tempted to pick one of those up as my primary development system - if so will let you know how it goes.
        Please do.

I'm also a bit confused about the OS/software requirements: Ubuntu 16.04, kernel 4.11, GCC 5.40, GLIBC 2.23 https://rocm.github.io/ROCmInstall.html Are these what ROCm was tested on and known to work, or is it actually required to be on those specific version? For hardware support/drivers I think most GL702ZC owners want to be on newer kernels.

Comment

I think that's just what it was tested with. That said, since we are moving from kernel replacement to DKMS packages there will be an upper limit on how new a kernel can be supported, since installing just drivers means you need to add code that adapts the driver to each kernel version that you want to work with.

Compiler version does matter from what I remember, but it's mostly "if the compiler is too old there will be problems".
          Test signature

Comment

I think that's just what it was tested with. That said, since we are moving from kernel replacement to DKMS packages there will be an upper limit on how new a kernel can be supported, since installing just drivers means you need to add code that adapts the driver to each kernel version that you want to work with.

Compiler version does matter from what I remember, but it's mostly "if the compiler is too old there will be problems".
            A minimum requirement makes sense. An upper limit might feel constraining.

This table, if up to date, shows that support is still in its early days (although the footer indicates 2016 and most news about ROCm is from that time... a bit worrying) https://rocm.github.io/dl.html#deep-...pport-for-rocm

The documentation is also geared towards developers. It doesn't seem too inviting for users. Perhaps that makes sense given the current support level.

There seems to be cautious enthusiasm for ROCm but also a fair bit of skepticism given AMD's track record with previous projects. I hope AMD feels a strong sense of urgency to make this viable for users and developers alike (and not just for masochists..). NVIDIA's stranglehold and approach on the domain is worrisome. At the same time, users buy actual results not hope.

It would be great for (nearly) everyone if AMD pulls through. I had never heard of ROCm, and nobody I've talked to about it has heard of it either. Maybe an important first step is to create awareness particularly among potential users and developers.

Comment

Originally posted by blueweb View Post
              This table, if up to date, shows that support is still in its early days (although the footer indicates 2016 and most news about ROCm is from that time... a bit worrying) https://rocm.github.io/dl.html#deep-...pport-for-rocm

The documentation is also geared towards developers. It doesn't seem too inviting for users. Perhaps that makes sense given the current support level.
              I think that page is specifically for the MIOpen library, which is aimed more at developers porting apps than at users. I think there are separate pages if you just want to run one of the frameworks.

Separately, that looks like an older page that needs to get taken down. Latest MIOpen info is at:

Test signature

Comment

I think that page is specifically for the MIOpen library, which is aimed more at developers porting apps than at users. I think there are separate pages if you just want to run one of the frameworks.

Separately, that looks like an older page that needs to get taken down. Latest MIOpen info is at:

That's further proof that there is a desperate need for better organization and presentation of information. (Btw, that page's "tutorials" link is broken.) From what I can tell based on the github repos and accounts, these important ROCm projects are supported by barely a handful of developers. Given the very small number of stars and forks, it's clear almost nobody knows about this work.

It's imperative for progress in the broad ML and GPGPU communities, whether AMD or NVIDIA GPU owners, to be free of hardware/vendor lock-in. I suspect most recognize it. This current solution is mostly unknown, unclear, and scattered among a confusing web of old pages and dead links. I would volunteer to organize it if I understood better the technology and relation between different projects.

I think it's urgent to 1) organize information on completed, current, and future projects in a user-centric way; in a concerted effort to 2) massively grow user base, which is unlikely without #1. Not just developers, but users who create the need/motivation for the efforts of developers. And I say urgent because having such big projects on the shoulders of few developers would be a good way to get them frustrated by the responsibility, burnt out, and discourage by the lack of adoption. Even a bit of user feedback, bug reports, contributions could go a long way into making the developers feel appreciated and improve the overall rate of progress.

I think this subject needs its own thread because it's important and, although relevant to GL702ZC owners, is getting a bit off topic.

Comment

On the subject of the GL702ZC, there are a number of reports online of a significant discrepancy between the battery's design capacity (76Wh, can others confirm?) and full charge capacity being reported ~60Wh.

It's unclear whether it's a reporting issue, software problem, hardware, etc.

See battery info with the following commands:

Linux:
                  Code:
                  upower -i /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_BAT0
                  Windows 10:
                  Code:
                  powercfg /batteryreport /output "C:\battery_report.html"
                  If users are affected they can open tickets with Asus, which will hopefully prompt them for a solution.

Comment

I started to use the GL702ZC now full time and my colleagues report that the audio is very noisy. What I noticed that Slack probably uses the built-in microphone, although I'm using microphone connected to the combined audio jack. When I look at the audio mixer, I see only one recording device (the built-in mic), and probably that's the root of the problem. I see that the camera shows up in `lsusb`, it's a realtek. I don't see the sound card device though. In `lspci` I see only one AMD audio device, which I guess is the HDMI related one.

Code:
                    $uname -a
                    Linux asus 4.14.0-0.bpo.3-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.14.13-1~bpo9+1 (2018-01-14) x86_64 GNU/Linux
                    Code:
                    $lspci
                    00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1450
                    00:00.2 IOMMU: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1451
                    00:01.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1452
                    00:01.1 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1453
                    00:01.3 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1453
                    00:02.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1452
                    00:03.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1452
                    00:03.1 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1453
                    00:04.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1452
                    00:07.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1452
                    00:07.1 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1454
                    00:08.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1452
                    00:08.1 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1454
                    00:14.0 SMBus: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SMBus Controller (rev 59)
                    00:14.3 ISA bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH LPC Bridge (rev 51)
                    00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1460
                    00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1461
                    00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1462
                    00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1463
                    00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1464
                    00:18.5 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1465
                    00:18.6 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1466
                    00:18.7 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1467
                    01:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Samsung Electronics Co Ltd Device a804
                    03:00.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 43bb (rev 02)
                    03:00.1 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 43b7 (rev 02)
                    03:00.2 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 43b2 (rev 02)
                    04:00.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 43b4 (rev 02)
                    04:01.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 43b4 (rev 02)
                    04:04.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 43b4 (rev 02)
                    04:05.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 43b4 (rev 02)
                    04:06.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 43b4 (rev 02)
                    04:07.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 43b4 (rev 02)
                    04:08.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 43b4 (rev 02)
                    06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 10)
                    07:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Device 24fd (rev 78)
                    0c:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480] (rev c1)
                    0c:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Device aaf0
                    11:00.0 Non-Essential Instrumentation [1300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 145a
                    11:00.2 Encryption controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1456
                    11:00.3 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 145c
                    12:00.0 Non-Essential Instrumentation [1300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1455
                    12:00.2 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 51)
                    12:00.3 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1457
                    So where supposed to be the external mic / audio device and how can I start using that?
                    I also have to add that my headphones work, so the audio device is not totally dead. Weird.

---------------------

And one more thing: I bought a mic+earbud on amazon which supposed to be compatible with both iPhones and Android phones. Whereas here https://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...2xtrs-splitter a commenter says "by the way, the distribution of the TRRS in the earbuds is different from others earphones, the pods are Left Audio, Right Audio, Ground, Mic and the regular ones(not mac) are Left Audio, Right Audio, Mic, Ground". So maybe I'm just not using the right format plug? Besides that earbud I also bought a splitter, with which I can use my old earphone + external mic, but that did not bring joy either.
                    Last edited by tocsa; 21 March 2018, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Code:
                      # inxi -F
                      System:    Host: asus Kernel: 4.14.0-0.bpo.3-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3
                                 Distro: Devuan GNU/Linux ascii/ceres
                      Machine:   Device: laptop System: ASUSTeK product: GL702ZC v: 1.0 serial: J2N0CV00143905G
                                 Mobo: ASUSTeK model: GL702ZC v: 1.0 serial: N0CV1751MB0094195
                                 UEFI: American Megatrends v: GL702ZC.303 date: 12/15/2017
                      Battery    BAT0: charge: 61.1 Wh 100.1% condition: 61.0/74.2 Wh (82%)
                      CPU:       Octa core AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core (-HT-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB
                                 clock speeds: max: 3000 MHz 1: 1347 MHz 2: 1374 MHz 3: 1437 MHz 4: 1374 MHz 5: 1346 MHz 6: 1347 MHz
                                 7: 1344 MHz 8: 1353 MHz 9: 1353 MHz 10: 1361 MHz 11: 1349 MHz 12: 1328 MHz 13: 1524 MHz 14: 1479 MHz
                                 15: 1444 MHz 16: 3047 MHz
                      Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480]
                                 Display Server: X.org 1.19.2 drivers: ati,amdgpu (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa,radeon)
                                 tty size: 190x49 Advanced Data: N/A for root
                      Audio:     Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Device 1457 driver: snd_hda_intel
                                 Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Device aaf0 driver: snd_hda_intel
                                 Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.14.0-0.bpo.3-amd64
                      Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: r8169
                                 IF: eth0 state: down mac: 18:31:bf:1f:ec:d6
                                 Card-2: Intel Device 24fd driver: iwlwifi
                                 IF: wlan0 state: up speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: f8:59:71:e9:33:65
                      Drives:    HDD Total Size: NA (-)
                                 ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 model: N/A size: 1024.2GB
                      Partition: ID-1: / size: 938G used: 61G (7%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/nvme0n1p2
                      Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 64.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 63.0
                                 Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
                      Info:      Processes: 328 Uptime: 12:15 Memory: 11731.4/32167.5MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.5

So ALSA is my software end, I'm using Devuan ascii distribution. Since my kernel is 4.14, the new amdgpu drivers are loaded. So if AMD would provide the sound card as well in this machine, maybe it's that amdgpu don't handle the mic well yet?

Code:
                      #lsmod
                      Module                  Size  Used by
                      ctr                    16384  4
                      ccm                    20480  6
                      appletalk              45056  0
                      ax25                   69632  0
                      ipx                    32768  0
                      p8023                  16384  1 ipx
                      p8022                  16384  1 ipx
                      psnap                  16384  2 appletalk,ipx
                      llc                    16384  2 p8022,psnap
                      cmac                   16384  1
                      bnep                   24576  2
                      binfmt_misc            20480  1
                      nf_log_ipv6            16384  5
                      xt_hl                  16384  22
                      ip6t_rt                16384  3
                      nf_conntrack_ipv6      16384  8
                      nf_defrag_ipv6         36864  1 nf_conntrack_ipv6
                      ip6t_REJECT            16384  3
                      nf_reject_ipv6         16384  1 ip6t_REJECT
                      nf_log_ipv4            16384  5
                      nf_log_common          16384  2 nf_log_ipv6,nf_log_ipv4
                      xt_LOG                 16384  10
                      xt_limit               16384  13
                      xt_tcpudp              16384  18
                      xt_addrtype            16384  4
                      nf_conntrack_ipv4      16384  8
                      nf_defrag_ipv4         16384  1 nf_conntrack_ipv4
                      xt_conntrack           16384  16
                      ipt_REJECT             16384  3
                      nf_reject_ipv4         16384  1 ipt_REJECT
                      ip6table_filter        16384  1
                      ip6_tables             32768  1 ip6table_filter
                      nf_conntrack_netbios_ns    16384  0
                      nf_conntrack_broadcast    16384  1 nf_conntrack_netbios_ns
                      nf_nat_ftp             16384  0
                      nf_nat                 36864  1 nf_nat_ftp
                      nf_conntrack_ftp       20480  1 nf_nat_ftp
                      nf_conntrack          159744  8 nf_conntrack_ipv6,nf_conntrack_ftp,nf_conntrack_ipv4,nf_conntrack_broadcast,nf_nat_ftp,nf_conntrack_netbios_ns,xt_conntrack,nf_nat
                      libcrc32c              16384  2 nf_conntrack,nf_nat
                      iptable_filter         16384  1
                      ip_tables              28672  1 iptable_filter
                      x_tables               40960  13 xt_LOG,ipt_REJECT,ip_tables,iptable_filter,xt_tcpudp,xt_limit,ip6t_REJECT,ip6table_filter,xt_addrtype,ip6t_rt,xt_conntrack,ip6_tables,xt_hl
                      nls_ascii              16384  1
                      nls_cp437              20480  1
                      vfat                   20480  1
                      fat                    77824  1 vfat
                      arc4                   16384  2
                      btusb                  53248  0
                      iwlmvm                290816  0
                      btrtl                  16384  1 btusb
                      btbcm                  16384  1 btusb
                      btintel                16384  1 btusb
                      amdkfd                151552  1
                      bluetooth             630784  26 btrtl,btintel,bnep,btbcm,btusb
                      mac80211              798720  1 iwlmvm
                      snd_hda_codec_realtek   102400  1
                      snd_hda_codec_generic    86016  1 snd_hda_codec_realtek
                      uvcvideo              102400  0
                      amdgpu               2281472  7
                      edac_mce_amd           28672  0
                      videobuf2_vmalloc      16384  1 uvcvideo
                      videobuf2_memops       16384  1 videobuf2_vmalloc
                      iwlwifi               212992  1 iwlmvm
                      videobuf2_v4l2         28672  1 uvcvideo
                      videobuf2_core         40960  2 uvcvideo,videobuf2_v4l2
                      drbg                   28672  1
                      kvm_amd                90112  0
                      snd_hda_codec_hdmi     57344  1
                      ttm                   118784  1 amdgpu
                      kvm                   696320  1 kvm_amd
                      asus_nb_wmi            28672  0
                      ansi_cprng             16384  0
                      snd_hda_intel          40960  10
                      efi_pstore             16384  0
                      irqbypass              16384  1 kvm
                      asus_wmi               32768  1 asus_nb_wmi
                      cfg80211              716800  3 iwlmvm,iwlwifi,mac80211
                      crct10dif_pclmul       16384  0
                      crc32_pclmul           16384  0
                      videodev              200704  3 uvcvideo,videobuf2_core,videobuf2_v4l2
                      sparse_keymap          16384  1 asus_wmi
                      ecdh_generic           24576  1 bluetooth
                      drm_kms_helper        192512  1 amdgpu
                      evdev                  28672  19
                      joydev                 24576  0
                      media                  45056  2 uvcvideo,videodev
                      ghash_clmulni_intel    16384  0
                      rfkill                 28672  5 asus_wmi,bluetooth,cfg80211
                      wmi_bmof               16384  0
                      efivars                20480  1 efi_pstore
                      snd_hda_codec         151552  4 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec_realtek
                      pcspkr                 16384  0
                      drm                   434176  7 amdgpu,ttm,drm_kms_helper
                      snd_hda_core           90112  5 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec_realtek
                      snd_hwdep              16384  1 snd_hda_codec
                      i2c_algo_bit           16384  1 amdgpu
                      snd_pcm               118784  7 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_core,snd_hda_codec_hdmi
                      mfd_core               16384  1 amdgpu
                      snd_timer              36864  1 snd_pcm
                      snd                    94208  25 snd_hda_intel,snd_hwdep,snd_hda_codec,snd_timer,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_pcm
                      ccp                    81920  0
                      soundcore              16384  1 snd
                      rng_core               16384  1 ccp
                      sp5100_tco             16384  0
                      shpchp                 40960  0
                      battery                20480  0
                      ac                     16384  0
                      wmi                    28672  2 asus_wmi,wmi_bmof
                      video                  45056  1 asus_wmi
                      asus_wireless          16384  0
                      tpm_crb                16384  0
                      button                 16384  0
                      acpi_cpufreq           24576  0
                      uinput                 20480  1
                      ext4                  720896  1
                      crc16                  16384  2 bluetooth,ext4
                      mbcache                16384  1 ext4
                      jbd2                  118784  1 ext4
                      crc32c_generic         16384  0
                      fscrypto               32768  1 ext4
                      ecb                    16384  0
                      hid_asus               20480  0
                      hid_generic            16384  0
                      usbhid                 57344  0
                      crc32c_intel           24576  3
                      aesni_intel           188416  7
                      aes_x86_64             20480  1 aesni_intel
                      crypto_simd            16384  1 aesni_intel
                      ahci                   40960  0
                      xhci_pci               16384  0
                      cryptd                 28672  3 crypto_simd,ghash_clmulni_intel,aesni_intel
                      glue_helper            16384  1 aesni_intel
                      libahci                40960  1 ahci
                      xhci_hcd              241664  1 xhci_pci
                      libata                274432  2 ahci,libahci
                      i2c_piix4              24576  0
                      r8169                  90112  0
                      usbcore               286720  5 uvcvideo,usbhid,xhci_pci,btusb,xhci_hcd
                      nvme                   36864  2
                      mii                    16384  1 r8169
                      scsi_mod              253952  1 libata
                      usb_common             16384  1 usbcore
                      nvme_core              53248  4 nvme
                      thermal                20480  0
                      i2c_hid                24576  0
                      hid                   131072  4 i2c_hid,hid_asus,hid_generic,usbhid
                      gpio_amdpt             16384  0
                      i2c_designware_platform    16384  0
                      gpio_generic           16384  1 gpio_amdpt
                      i2c_designware_core    20480  1 i2c_designware_platform
                      Last edited by tocsa; 23 March 2018, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X