Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSI DS502 USB Gaming Headset Works On Linux

Phoronix: MSI DS502 USB Gaming Headset Works On Linux

When buying the MSI X299 SLI PLUS for our initial X299 + Intel Core X Series Linux benchmarking from NewEgg it came with the MSI DS502 Gaming Headset as a free gift. Curiosity got the best of me today, and it actually works just fine under Linux...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-Linux-Headset

Most probably audio quality is awful shit in those

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post
      Most probably audio quality is awful shit in those
      I would argue that it would be better than onboard motherboard audio. With it being powered, there is a good chance that a small amplifier is in there too, which will drive the speakers better and make for better audio.

Comment

Using a soundblasterX H7, it works fine. I like to be able to use a jack or an USB connector.

Unfortunately, Creative patented HRTF to death, and they only offer their software on Windows...

moilami, I have generally had very pleasant experience with USB audio devices. I especially like the fact that the USB cable is immune to EMI.

Comment

Is the virtual surround working? Or does that require addtional drivers?

Comment

It would be interesting to know if the 7.1 surround is actually working, yes, and if it works with ALSA. They look comfy, similar to Audio-Technica offerings…

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

I would argue that it would be better than onboard motherboard audio. With it being powered, there is a good chance that a small amplifier is in there too, which will drive the speakers better and make for better audio.
              I meant the actual earphones. In my opinion about 200 euro is needed for decent sound quality. At least it used to be so.

Comment

I meant the actual earphones. In my opinion about 200 euro is needed for decent sound quality. At least it used to be so.
                That's a tad high. With actual brands like Sennheiser (not bullshit like Beats or Bose) and a sober non-gaming design you can get good quality earphones at 50 euros too. Beyond that point it makes more difference the $$ spent in amplifier and sound system upstream than the earphones downstream. at least imho.

Or you have very fine tastes.

Comment

looks like the headset i have been waiting for.

Comment

I have a set of Alessandro MS1's that cost me AUD$150 back in 2010 - they still sound very nice - nice sound stage, handles delicate music nicely - heck - even EDM and Metal sound alright! EUR$200 would get you a nice set of cans, but you are well into diminishing returns territory.

For that price i would be wanting a very nice noise cancelling headset that runs of USB with a powered amp driving the speakers in your choice of open of closed back.

Comment

Working...
                    X