New Libre-Focused ARM Board Aims To Compete With Raspberry Pi 3, Offers 4K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
    How nice if all these minicomputer people found out that it would be simpler to make a cheap single board that can easily be expanded by plugging in whatever you need.
    Just like in the old days when you had a free socket on your mainboard that could provide you with a FPU for example.
    I agree, but I'm sorry to inform you that it is done like this because it is better for the manufacturer's usecase so it's not likely to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by stefansaraev View Post
      "64-bit ARM Cortex-A53" means nothing. what it is actualy. allwiner? amlogic?
      In the kickstarter board image the board rendering has "AML-S905X" silkscreened, so it seems Amlogic. But it also might be anything else.

Comment

lol. mali and libre can't co-exist in same sentence!
        Maybe in (near?) future. There is an effort to implement mesa driver here: https://github.com/yuq?tab=repositories

"4K Ultra HD with HDR via HDMI 2.0" good luck with that on linux.
        Which part do you find hard to believe? HDR?

Comment

I hope its not a amlogic. i would wish a rockchip based chip like the one in the asus PI clone. because the a arm kernel guy say they pretty well supported by upstream kernels. (ofc the mali gpu is a pain in the ass)

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            Nope. 3D isn't required for most embedded projects.
            Also on the PC, games used to run without any kind of graphics acceleration. My 486DX could run C&C Red Alert, Steel Panthers, Civilization, Settlers 2 etc. Most games used 320x200x8b (mode 13h), some 640x480x8b. It had zero acceleration, it had just a cheap 1MB SVGA clone. The machine ticked at 66 MHz. I don't know about the memory, maybe 33 MHz ? Surely the quad-core ARMs are much faster so I'm not really surprised if they could run normal X just fine with CPU based rendering.
            Last edited by caligula; 29 June 2017, 06:26 PM.

Comment

I've worked for ~6m on a arm only desktop (Compulab's Utilite running Archlinux arm) - no 3d acceleration at first. Only issues I had were playing videos (especially large ones) and playing youtube - libre office, chromium, editing photos worked great. General Linux desktop doesn't benefit from 3d acceleration on arm socs, as those use gles and most things on the desktop were written for gl.

Comment

Yeaaaah... I think I'll continue waiting on the eoma68 project; that uses hardware that is actually capable of running libre, and whose CPU can be 'trusted'.

As for the Raspberry Pi, I'm still hunting for the IRC log I saw it in, but I think christinaa (the developer of the libre firmware) got tired of hacking around some questionable design choices. (Something about the CPU never being intended to use 1GB of memory, and there being BS Broadcom did to cram it in?) The repo hasn't been touched since early April, so I'm not optimistic about its future.

EDIT: Apparently, it's currently possible to boot the linux kernel with her firmware as of January, albeit with some USB/DMA/eMMC-related caveats.

IF you can't wait, try the Beaglebone Black instead.
                Last edited by mulenmar; 30 June 2017, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mulenmar View Post
                  As for the Raspberry Pi, I'm still hunting for the IRC log I saw it in, but I think christinaa (the developer of the libre firmware) got tired of hacking around some questionable design choices.
                  You mean this?

Comment

Originally posted by Misel View Post
                    This has got to be the longest Kickstarter introduction video ever. 37 minutes
                    They have a good amount of technical details but from a marketing standpoint their presentation video is cringe-worthy disaster. Using a text to speech translator voice over and a bunch of on bench screen tests is a terrible 1st impression.

Comment

Originally posted by jernej View Post

Maybe in (near?) future. There is an effort to implement mesa driver here: https://github.com/yuq?tab=repositories
                      maybe. maybe not. shall see. I have enough experience with gxbb/gxl, both kernel and userspace to have my doubts.

EDIT: and with allwinner, too

Which part do you find hard to believe? HDR?
                      there is no opensource amlogic hw video decoder. there will be none in next year or two.

you can't do 4k@60 on those amlogic boards without blobs. I would not even comment on "hdr"
                      Last edited by stefansaraev; 01 July 2017, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X