Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ssokolow
    replied
    Bah. Sorry, Michael. I got my previous post re-flagged as spam after you OKed it because I realized it really should have a TL;DR added.

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by Leo Ice View Post
    Guys, sorry, I'll write a little off topic (did not find how to create new ones), but I'm very interested in the question of monitors and in particular how they will work with LINUX. I'm looking to buy a few monitors. Which one is better? Which advise me? I love widescreen screens. I hope you approve of these options. I was a bit stupid and left the link above, Thank you!
    [Meme: Not sure if ambitious spammer or just very ignorant]

Normal monitors, which connect via DisplayPort, HDMI, DVI, or VGA don't care what OS you're using. Those are standard interfaces and, as long as the PC can speak them, the monitor will work just fine.

The only reason the ASUS ZenScreen is a problem is that USB DisplayLink is not a standard and, when it came out, the USB Type-C Alternate Mode option for connecting the ZenScreen was young enough for some Linux video drivers to not support it yet.

Likewise, the only reason some large monitors used to have problems with Linux was because they presented themselves to PCs as multiple monitors wired up using DisplayPort v1.2's new Multi-Stream Transport option (multiple monitors plugged into a single port) and some drivers didn't support that yet.

So, basically, you have two questions:

1. "Is there any part of the DisplayPort standard that monitors are using but Linux drivers don't yet universally support?" (I don't keep up on this, but someone here should be able to answer this for you.)
    2. What monitor would you recommend? (This is *not* the place to be asking that and I suggest you remove your review link to make your post look less like a spammer disguising linkspam.)

TL;DR: Unless you're planning to buy a monitor with some very unusual functionality (eg. hooking up over USB rather than a normal video cable or being huge enough to need to fake being two monitors), your question is better asked in the same kinds of places where Windows users ask for hardware advice.
    Last edited by ssokolow; 24 February 2019, 08:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• creative
    replied
    Rad device.

Leave a comment:

• Leo Ice
    replied
    Guys, sorry, I'll write a little off topic (did not find how to create new ones), but I'm very interested in the question of monitors and in particular how they will work with LINUX. I'm looking to buy a few monitors. Which one is better? Which advise me? I love widescreen screens. I hope you approve of these options. I was a bit stupid and left the link above, Thank you!

Leave a comment:

• Leo Ice
    replied
    Guys, sorry, I'll write a little off topic (did not find how to create new ones), but I'm very interested in the question of monitors and in particular how they will work with LINUX. I'm looking to buy a few monitors. Which one is better? Which advise me? I love widescreen screens. I hope you approve of these options. Thank you!
    Detailed Curved Monitors reviews, along with specs, comparisons and guides to help you make the right choice.

Leave a comment:

• Leo Ice
    replied
    Originally posted by Snaipersky View Post
    "Weighs only 2 months"
    So how do we convert that to ounces or grams?
    An apple a day, so the weight of 30 average apples equals a month?
    I think this phraseology is so new =)))But it sounds really funny and stupid

Leave a comment:

• andrei_me
    replied
    Michael has the situation changed for this monitor? Do you still need to use the binary driver?

Leave a comment:

• RussianNeuroMancer
    replied
    Originally posted by dkasak View Post
    I strongly advise Linux users to stay well clear of it. It was incredibly unstable ( kernel oopses and X segfaults ).
    While I have same experience with Lenovo ThinkPad USB 3.0 Dock (model DU9019D1) later I found that X segfaults is not DisplayLink issue, because I get exactly same segfaults with Dell WD15 (pure USB 3.1 device that utilize DisplayPort alternative mode). ThinkPad USB 3.0 Dock and Dell WD15 rendering issues is also the same (with Intel DDX and modesetting DDX too). Mind blowing, right?

So while DisplayLink solution have own issues, most of dock problems is came from X open source code, rather from DisplayLink closed source code.

Leave a comment:

• ypnos
    replied
    I wonder why they couldn't spend another dollar for a physical mini display port or HDMI port on the display. Given that all laptops come with HDMI and/or miniDP outputs, but very few come with USB-C and out of these, not all of them support the necessary alternate mode.

I wouldn't buy this display simply to avoid the hassle. The DisplayLink is no alternative. Want to use it on a friend's laptop? Need to install a driver first. Apart from that, it is obviously too slow given the inferior bandwidth of USB 3.0, the compression it needs is laggy and also consumes the CPU. Why did they even bother with this? So that you need only one cable?

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    welp vbullettin is harassing me! (post blocked above, about the displayport-over usb-c)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X