Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS ZenScreen MB16AC USB-C Portable Monitor

Phoronix: ASUS ZenScreen MB16AC USB-C Portable Monitor

What if you could have a monitor that weighed less than two pounds, only required a single cable for both power and display, offered 1080p on a 15-inch IPS screen, and was designed for portability? It would be possible to easily have a secondary display with you anywhere whether it be outdoors, on the beach, in the conference room, or practically anywhere. ASUS has managed such a device with the MB16AC ZenScreen.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For those not into the world of portable monitors, you can have normal hdmi/VGA/DP portable screens like this https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Moni...f=pd_sim_147_3 that sure cost a bit more (350$ vs 250$), but are actual screens with normal input ports and don't require silly drivers.

Also, Displayport blob does not work with NVIDIA GPUs or other closed GPU blobs. On hybrid laptops this should not theoretically be an issue anyway because it is the iGPU that has the display controllers, but it might be an issue, don't know.

Comment

"Weighs only 2 months"
      So how do we convert that to ounces or grams?
      An apple a day, so the weight of 30 average apples equals a month?

Comment

Looks like the reason it didn't work on your test machine when using USB-C and worked more responsive when connected to a Mac is the display supporting 2 different input interfaces, DisplayPort 1.3 (as an alternate mode of USB 3.1, ~25.92 Gb/s) and DisplayLink (compressed video stream over plain USB 3.0, ~4 Gb/s). Could you check if it's true?

Comment

Nice test Michael, I was planning to buy one of these, could you check what m132 said?

Maybe I will wait for a second generation of this display, would cool try to plug it to an android that uses USB-C and see if it work too

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
            Nice test Michael, I was planning to buy one of these, could you check what m132 said?

Maybe I will wait for a second generation of this display, would cool try to plug it to an android that uses USB-C and see if it work too
            MacOS with USB 3.0 still seems a bit more responsive than USB 3.0 with Ubuntu.

Unfortunately I have no USB-C android devices.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

the only interest I would have in this is multihead gaming

Comment

Just curious. Does this screen supports multi touch under Linux?

Comment

I was going to ask for some tissues and some privacy until I read that it was using DisplayLink. I've had the incredible displeasure to spend a large amount of time testing DisplayLink 3 hardware and software with Linux, and I strongly advise Linux users to stay well clear of it. It was incredibly unstable ( kernel oopses and X segfaults ). It was incredibly slow - almost 1-second delays in eg pressing a key and seeing a letter appear on-screen. It slowed down the primary display as well. It caused extreme CPU load. DisplayLink support was particularly disinterested in any of these issues, and suggested that they'd optimised everything as much as possible, and it was some performance bottleneck inherent in Linux. I love ASUS, and I love the idea of this, but I swore I'd never touch another DisplayLink setup.

Comment

I donĀ“t think this is a touch screen, which is a shame and a missed opportunity. I assumed it would be 60hz but based on 50wpm blur limit it sounds like its lower.

Comment

Working...
                    X