No announcement yet.

NetGear Nighthawk X10 As A High-End Home Router

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The reason the performance is higher than average for 5GHz but lower for 2.4GHz is interference. This router turns up the transmit power pretty high, which is great if you don't have interference. However, with more interference on the 2.4 GHz bands, which travel farther than 5GHz, higher power means it can see more of your neighbor's networks, and has to share a collision domain with them.

Comment

Originally posted by unrulycow View Post
      The reason the performance is higher than average for 5GHz but lower for 2.4GHz is interference. This router turns up the transmit power pretty high, which is great if you don't have interference. However, with more interference on the 2.4 GHz bands, which travel farther than 5GHz, higher power means it can see more of your neighbor's networks, and has to share a collision domain with them.
      Signal strength is configurable though. Not only that, it's a key factor into figuring out the right setup for a network.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Signal strength is configurable though. Not only that, it's a key factor into figuring out the right setup for a network.
        But did Michael change the defaults? Do most consumers? I didn't understand collision domains until earlier this year. Until then I thought stronger signal was always​ better.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post

But did Michael change the defaults? Do most consumers? I didn't understand collision domains until earlier this year. Until then I thought stronger signal was always​ better.
          You should know by now that Michael always tests using default settings
          But yes, signal strength is a legit concern. Right next to picking a free band (mostly for the 2.4GHz band).

Edit: There's also this little gem: http://www.networkworld.com/article/...i-network.html
          Last edited by bug77; 24 April 2017, 04:42 AM.

Comment

You can spec out a SuperMicro C2558 with 4 1G ports, 8G RAM, 32GB SSD, case and power supply for $350 on Amazon. Coupling that with pfSense makes $450 for a consumer grade firewall really tough to swallow. You still have to buy the access point but a Ubiquiti AC Pro costs $130 (for a total of $480). I run the same setup at my house (but with a C2758) and you couldn't pay me enough to go back to Asus/Linksys/Netgear/etc.

Comment

Everyone should stop flattering themselves. Anyone who buys off the shelf consumer gear for "security" doesn't have anything worth pursuing.

Use it for what it is, great wireless range and bandwidth. The rest of the settings are for obscure geek freeks who love to change a setting that has no bearing on the 99.9 percent of its use case.

Hopefully Michael isn't blowing away his neighbors. With only 3 non-interfering bands in the 2.4 range, these AC MIMO routers have been causing suburban wifi wars.

Comment

For that price i can buy a new PC, lel

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
                  For that price i can buy a new PC, lel
                  I actually thought that to.
                  So i bought a new laptop with amd rx 460 (ASUS X550IU) for almost the same price, the router is $590 here and the laptop was $645 so +$55 and i got a new laptop to game with.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
                    I actually thought that to.
                    So i bought a new laptop with amd rx 460 (ASUS X550IU) for almost the same price, the router is $590 here and the laptop was $645 so +$55 and i got a new laptop to game with.
                    Nice!
                    How is the performance?

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post

Nice!
                      How is the performance?
                      Trapped in shipping still.

Comment

Working...
                      X