System76 To Begin Their Own Product Design & Manufacturing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am not in favor of this.

Having their own production line and design translates to higher costs, especially for a small and niche system builder like System76. I have no desire to fork out top dollar for a notebook utilizing the same commodity hardware as every single other notebook that is being sold on the market today.

Besides, I don't see what is wrong with selling rebranded Clevos like what every other boutique and performance laptop vendor is doing today. Clevos are widely regarded as the cream of the crop where consumer-grade notebooks are concerned, especially with regards to hardware accessibility and upgradability, as well as build quality. And speaking as someone who routinely switches out the WiFi card in notebooks to mess around with Linux drivers and compatibility, this is a huge plus.

I can only foresee System76 going down the 'closed up and soldered-down' route once they start making their own designs, as it's always the superslim ultrabooks that most people want nowadays. And that's already a huge minus in my book.

The only value I can see System76 beinging to the table, if they even have any interest in doing so, is to implement Coreboot + an appropriate UEFI payload in their machines .

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post

I'd like an option with AMD cards instead of Nvidia...
      I was thinking that it would be nice to see a full AMD stack if the Zen APUs are decent. This announcement is perhaps right on time if that is to be an option.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
        What you really want is an AMD APU with 8-16 GB if HBM built in.
        Yeah, I guess HBM would also be good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
          If you like the Apple way of laptops, don't ask for a imitation, buy one. I want a machine to work for me, out of the box, no USB adapter (that kills all you gain with a thin design) at all. The infrastructure of the places you work/visit will not change just because you fell for the idea that type C connectors is the answer for everything.

I don't dig your idea of enterprise grade hardware at all. Enterprise means ease of maintenance and robustness, not shiny, Apple-like-almost-impossible-to-fix machines. Also, be able to upgrade RAM and storage with available parts is a must, not a thing of the past, unless you like the idea of programed obsolescence. And there is a lot of things in a laptop that can go wrong and need to be replaced with new parts. Screen, keyboard, memory chips, storage, wifi, all of these can and will broke in a heavily used machine and you need to fix it. Apple computers are not immune to this at all.

Or you may think is money well spent buying extended warranty for your hardware, if things go wrong.

Keyboards need to have a solid surface, so when you press a key you didn't get distracted by the whole surface going up and down. This has nothing to do with key travel.
          This, many times this.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
            Why is everyone talking about laptops when the article says they will begin with desktops and laptops won't come until much later?
            Because none is giving a fuck about OEM desktops, probably. It's not a secret that most people buy laptops and not desktops since around Sandy Bridge times.

Comment

I've been pondering a new laptop with Ubuntu but the vendors I've looked at that offer linux usually have them priced MORE than the equivalent with windows. This make no sense to me.

Comment

Engineering for the auto install and hardware test, and Linux tech support later. An OEM like Dell only pays about $20 for a copy of Windows. Supporting a different OS is easily more expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post
                  Engineering for the auto install and hardware test, and Linux tech support later. An OEM like Dell only pays about $20 for a copy of Windows. Supporting a different OS is easily more expensive.
                  Yes, but I don't see that as a reoccurring cost. Once you have hardware that has good support, you are there.

Comment

Originally posted by laryllan View Post
                    Hopefully their devices will not be as expensive as the Model S.
                    model s starts lower than 2x price of average american car. so "as expensive" laptop will cost less than 2x price of average american laptop. now i have no idea what that price is
                    Last edited by pal666; 21 April 2017, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                      Uh, no, I think you mean the experts were proven right.
                      lol, only in your dreams
                      The Tesla roadster was smaller inside than a Geo Metro, and the electric range was terrible.
                      roadster showed that bev could destroy ice, which was not known to wide public before. and almost ten years later people like you are still living on trees
                      The build quality was questionable, and they didn't sell many of them.
                      they sold all 2.5k for which they had contract for lotus gliders
                      Of the ones sold, very few are even still on the road.
                      how did you measure that? how many other sportcars from 2008 are on the road?
                      Tesla Motors has been losing money every year since their inception, they don't have a single profitable product.
                      well that idiotic fantasy is often repeated by drug addicts trying to short tesla and all what awaits them is "tsunami of hurt (c)"
                      tesla has huge margin for automotive industry (25-30%). but it takes all that profit and invests it in expanding production. because tesla sales are limited by production, not by demand. in last year sales grew from 50k to 80k. this year will grow again. shorts will jump out of windows again. and btw tesla had profitable quarter recently
                      if we're going to evaluate them in terms of competitiveness and profitability on the open market, they fail miserably.
                      only if you are idiot. tesla dominates market of luxury sedans in us.
                      The only reason the company hasn't gone out of business, is the backing of their billionaire owner, media hype, and their stock market cap i.e. individual investors.
                      so you are idiot. their "billionaire owner" does not have billions, he has stock. and he owns only 22% of tesla, which he got early(for less money, less than 100m), everything else is backed by other investors and they are not individual. they are banks etc. and banks do this for money, not for hype. tesla hasn't gone out of business because tesla does not spend more than it can

Comment

Working...
                      X