No announcement yet.

System76 To Begin Their Own Product Design & Manufacturing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It would be a good start if they could propose different keyboard layouts !

Comment

Originally posted by kyrios View Post
      It would be a good start if they could propose different keyboard layouts !
      I'd like an option with AMD cards instead of Nvidia...

Comment

https://www.tuxedocomputers.com/index.php
        Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
        Bad thing if you are European buyer is you need to pay additional import taxes so the price of their computers goes up, but I would consider a well designed and powerful 17.3" laptop, sleek too, they should hire some developers to recreate Unity in QT on Wayland and I would buy it even if I need to pay extra taxes or modify heavily existing Gnome or KDE to make it Unity-like. If they want their computers to stand out they also need a desktop that stands out, also proper theming and all that goes with a custom desktop.
        If you're from somewhere close to Germany, there's also this German Linux PC/Laptop manufacturer: https://www.tuxedocomputers.com/index.php
        Shipping within the EU, so no import taxes.
        The online shop itself seems to be in German only, however you can configure the Laptops to a great extent, including which keyboard layout they use. German, English, Spanish, French, Italian, Swedish keyboard layouts are all available.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
          Uh, no, I think you mean the experts were proven wrong. The Tesla roadster was smaller inside than a Geo Metro, and the electric range was terrible. The build quality was questionable, and they didn't sell many of them. Of the ones sold, very few are even still on the road. Tesla Motors has been losing money every year since their inception, they don't have a single profitable product. That's not to say they haven't developed some interesting technology along the way, but if we're going to evaluate them in terms of competitiveness and profitability on the open market, they fail miserably. The only reason the company hasn't gone out of business, is the backing of their billionaire owner, media hype, and their stock market cap i.e. individual investors.
          Factually incorrect. Have you looked at their reports?

Tesla is profitable but for one thing: capital expenditure.

Tesla is losing money because they are spending more money than they have in order to build factories to build more of the things they make because the things they make are profitable.

The reason that their stock value is so high is because of the previous sentence. We haven't seen that state of being in a car company in a long, long time. Tesla is an investor's dream come true because a little bit of money in today has a very good chance of being a huge amount of money out later.

http://www.marketwatch.com/investing...sla/financials

$7 Billion in sales
          $5.43 Billion in Cost of Goods
          $2.2 Billion in Capital Expenditure (building infrastructure to build more goods to sell)

Read the financials and understand them before you go posting blatant falsehoods again.

Comment

I wish Jason DeRose and his colleagues all the best. I hope it works out for them.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Things I want:
              • Open source UEFI firmware
              • Support for coreboot.
              • Open hardware. Schemata, wiring diagrams and CAD drawings for the PCB and the chassis.
              • USB Type-C.
                • Charging over USB Type-C.
              Open hardware doesnt mean much to me as i wont be doing any electrical engineering or low level programming for that matter. However it would be nice.

What i do want to see in addition are the following:
              • ARM based processor
              • at least one high performance SD slot that takes the card internally. The idea here is to avoid "wings" when the SD card is installed.
              • A fast and large SSD. Frankly options up to about 4TB. Yes the top may be expensive.
              • 8GB of RAM minimal. Im not a RAM fiend so that is a good base value.
              • HDMI out is still a good thing.
              • note that the above are for a laptop. Desktops would need the above plus more USB-C ports and an ethernet port. I might go retro and suggest an RS 232 port also. Also in a desktop storage must be in an industry standard slot for SSDs. Actually four storage slots would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
                I'd like an option with AMD cards instead of Nvidia...
                And AMD APUs. It would be awesome if they could make a board where an AMD APU isn't hobbled by single-channel RAM, throttled to 15W of TDP which in "higher end" models is also paired with a total bullshit "dedicated" AMD GPU (that only wastes the battery) like the case for pretty much every Carrizo and later laptops.

Not. A. Single. Goddamn. APU. At. 35W. Of. TDP. Nor. With. Dual. Channel. Ram.

Comment

please at least use ryzen

Comment

When it comes to laptops im the polar opposite. I want reliable and sealed tight literally water proof when submerged slightky. Soldered in means a reliable portable device. Such a laptop needs to be passively cooked to allow seal up. Frankly from a corporate standpoint such a laptop is far more desirable as rugged beats serviceable everytime.

Desktops and rack mounts are a different story of course but even here the machines must be forward looking. That means no legacy ports so many seem to think are needed.

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                    I hope they release things that are easy to service. Nothing glued, nothing soldered in the motherboard (except for ultrathins, but these are other people's problem), easy to open panels and, for the love of God, don't make me remove the motherboard to be able to clean the cooler. In other words, enterprise grade machines. Try to steal consumers of the T-series Thinkpads. Remember: Thinkpads have awful quality screens. There is something easy to gain on them.

Oh, and we like nice keyboards and touchpads (no clickpad crap), nothing of that shallow travel, bouncing keyboards crap so "popular" with other vendors.
                    Keyboards are always an issue! You simply can't please everybody. Id love to see a track pad that works as well as Apples implementations do.

In any event your idea of enterprise grade machines is highly outdated. For the most part a compter these days is one chip, some RAM and a secodary store. By definition little is serviceable and things like RAM will be in package with the SoC silicon in the near future. This isnt the 1960's, it isnt even the 1990's, massive servicable motherboards are a thing of the past.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                      I hope they release things that are easy to service. Nothing glued, nothing soldered in the motherboard (except for ultrathins, but these are other people's problem), easy to open panels and, for the love of God, don't make me remove the motherboard to be able to clean the cooler. In other words, enterprise grade machines. Try to steal consumers of the T-series Thinkpads. Remember: Thinkpads have awful quality screens. There is something easy to gain on them.

Oh, and we like nice keyboards and touchpads (no clickpad crap), nothing of that shallow travel, bouncing keyboards crap so "popular" with other vendors.
                      As a 25 year ThinkPad abuser, since the Lenovo purchase, only the sub $600 models that share components with the Lenovo consumer line have the crappy LCD's. Depending on the supplier, most of the $1000+ Thinkpads have decent screens and keyboards. I have found used ThinkPads to be excellent Linux testbeds. I finally had to retire my T40 because the latest distros needed a CPU function that the Pentium M couldn't provide. We are talking a 15 year old model here. That's a pretty good shelf life!

Comment

Working...
                      X