Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roccat Open-Source Project To End New Linux Device Support

Phoronix: Roccat Appears To Be Ending New Linux Device Support

For the past number of years there's been good Linux support for Roccat devices, mostly various mice/keyboard gaming peripherals. This has done by developer Stefan Achatz working with Roccat and he's done a great job supporting their hardware but now he's stepping back from the project...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is so sad... At first I was like "WHAT THE FUUUUUUUK?!", since I bought an expensive Roccat mouse only thanks to the Linux support, but of course I respect his decision. I've even reported a bug to the project, I hope it wasn't my bug that scared him away..
    I do really hope that Roccat continues to support their own hardware, especially now that Linux is actually usable as a gaming platform.

Comment

This truly sucks. Maybe the folks at Roccat pick this up and/or make official drivers using this as the base. Something....anything.

Comment

Yeah Roccat shouldn't let linux support die just because the main linux contributor is taking a break. If he's taking a step back they need to step forward.

Comment

Welp. That's kind of a bad thing to see, given that I'm considering a Roccat mouse...

Comment

Huh. That's pretty interesting.
            So Roccat was willing to share docs with a developer who volunteered his time for free?

Comment

Is natural for him to stop developing, the company wasn't supporting him financially, I don't understand why companies like this are so stingy. Some times I think the software developer profession has lost a lot of respect from others due to the open source movement and the passion of developers of making everything for free.... this is simply stupid. Making all of this requires a lot of study, time, discipline and dedication.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
                Is natural for him to stop developing, the company wasn't supporting him financially, I don't understand why companies like this are so stingy. Some times I think the software developer profession has lost a lot of respect from others due to the open source movement and the passion of developers of making everything for free.... this is simply stupid. Making all of this requires a lot of study, time, discipline and dedication.
                Some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

I bought a Roccat Nyth for this reason. I love the mouse but this is disheartening to see. I wish I had programming skills. I will drop money on a patreon to keep this project going. Any takers?

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

Some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.
                    Those kind of men still need food and somewhere to sleep, but I guess you are defining those that still live on their parents basement, parents covering all their needs, and what do they want to watch burn? Maybe Microsoft or the Developer community?

Comment

Working...
                    X