Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bluetooth 5 Specification Released

Phoronix: Bluetooth 5 Specification Released

The Bluetooth SIG today announced the core specification release for Bluetooth 5...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A slightly more informative link:
    Bluetooth® specifications define the technology building blocks that developers use to create the interoperable devices that make up the thriving Bluetooth ecosystem.

interesting to see just how many profiles they have now hanging off the GATT stuff, glad I don't have to write code to support all that

Comment

Now if only the 4 Dual Shock 4 Controllers I bought would connect via Bluetooth and authenticate consistently as P1 to P4 that would be super.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
        Now if only the 4 Dual Shock 4 Controllers I bought would connect via Bluetooth and authenticate consistently as P1 to P4 that would be super.
        I haven't had a problem with Linux handling multiple controllers. That said, the latency for Bluetooth on Linux (Broadcom) is just pitiful. I tried playing a casual game of Rocket League but there were seconds of latency.

On Windows, most games expect XInput and you have to use something like InputMapper or DS4Windows. DS4Windows uses a rather buggy software called "SCP Driver Package". It crashes constantly, may not detect a controller correctly, and definitely doesn't unload controllers correctly. It's the closest thing to an open-source alternative. The best driver for now is provided by InputMapper... although it too randomly crashes and I've actually had bad experiences where it causes my USB storage device to randomly disconnect, which coincidentally is detected by the driver meant for DS4 controllers... not sure wtf is going on ther.

That said, the controllers will connect and work as intended... if the driver doesn't crash.

I think there needs to be an alternative standard to Bluetooth meant for low-latency, energy efficient devices, both of which Bluetooth seems to be bad at. I've sadly had better experiences with Xbox controllers, even on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post

I haven't had a problem with Linux handling multiple controllers. That said, the latency for Bluetooth on Linux (Broadcom) is just pitiful. I tried playing a casual game of Rocket League but there were seconds of latency.

On Windows, most games expect XInput and you have to use something like InputMapper or DS4Windows. DS4Windows uses a rather buggy software called "SCP Driver Package". It crashes constantly, may not detect a controller correctly, and definitely doesn't unload controllers correctly. It's the closest thing to an open-source alternative. The best driver for now is provided by InputMapper... although it too randomly crashes and I've actually had bad experiences where it causes my USB storage device to randomly disconnect, which coincidentally is detected by the driver meant for DS4 controllers... not sure wtf is going on ther.

That said, the controllers will connect and work as intended... if the driver doesn't crash.

I think there needs to be an alternative standard to Bluetooth meant for low-latency, energy efficient devices, both of which Bluetooth seems to be bad at. I've sadly had better experiences with Xbox controllers, even on Linux.
          BLE (specifically, HOGP) exactly what you want. It's designed to build up and teardown its network stack within a few milliseconds (and transmit a small amount of data while the network is functioning).

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Heyoka View Post
            interesting to see just how many profiles they have now hanging off the GATT stuff, glad I don't have to write code to support all that
            GATT is quite easy to support, it's just a kind of object-oriented system. You have "services", that are like objects or interfaces, and "characteristics", that are properties of the services, and you just read them.

Comment

Working...
            X