Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Btrfs RAID5/RAID6 Support Finally Get Fixed

Phoronix: Btrfs RAID5/RAID6 Support Finally Get Fixed

Over the summer we wrote about Btrfs RAID 5/6 code was found to be unsafe and likely would need a rewrite. Months later, patches have finally emerged to fix the faulty Btrfs RAID 5/6 code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice to see this bug gone. However, RAID 5/6 is still marked as unstable on the wiki: https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Status

Are there more things to address (besides code quality), or is it "production-ready"?

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
      Nice to see this bug gone. However, RAID 5/6 is still marked as unstable on the wiki: https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Status

Are there more things to address (besides code quality), or is it "production-ready"?
      I assume it has to be merged in mainline before its marked stable in the wiki. And i hope someone is testing the hell out of it before it gets merged and someone trusts it for his data.

Comment

Does this need a new on disk format or its just a driver thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
          Does this need a new on disk format or its just a driver thing?
          From what I was able to piece together it is just a race condition and does not require a format change. The disk format is actually marked as stable and newer kernels will support older formats if a format change is necessary.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

AFAIK even with the patches the write hole still exists, parity is still not checksummed and scrub will still not repair. It just fixes a scrub race condition which is not even mentioned in the wiki.
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Btrfs is smelling really rotten... Rancid butter?

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                AFAIK even with the patches the write hole still exists, parity is still not checksummed and scrub will still not repair. It just fixes a scrub race condition which is not even mentioned in the wiki.
                On top of that it's also damn slow.

Comment

This is pretty good news. The worst case of "more or less fatally flawed, and a full scrap and rewrite to an entirely different raid56 mode on-disk format may be necessary to fix it" turns out not to be true. I'll probably stick with BTRFS raid 1 a bit longer though.

The write hole is not unique to BTRFS, and the checksumming reduces its impact. So I don't see that as a big deal.

Comment

If this is a bug fix, I'd expect it to go into 4.9 and be back ported to the stable kernels

Comment

Working...
                    X