Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
    I'm still waiting to be able to boot my Linux distro from an F2FS partition
    the patch for f2fs in GRUB2 mailing lists is in final form since March, the maintainer said he will merge that after 2.02 release https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/g.../msg00013.html

So if you want to complain for lack of f2fs, go harass him.

Comment

Originally posted by flubba86 View Post
      Would it be accurate to call this JBOD RAID?
      The guy mailed also on btrfs mailing list to get some feedback on his code (as it is doing similar things, and btrfs people have experience in this). I did see the mail as I'm subscribed there.

So this is a relatively similar concept of btrfs RAID0. Files can be split around the drives if needed (performance) but there is something to move stuff around in the background after the first write was successful.

Comment

Slitely off topic but makes f2fs inside a lvm volume that is in an ssd sense or better will I still the benefits of using f2fs?

Comment

I'm still waiting to be able to boot my Linux distro from an F2FS partition
          Put your /boot on FAT and you can boot from whatever you like.

Comment

Originally posted by arokh View Post

Put your /boot on FAT and you can boot from whatever you like.
            That works, but it's not really booting from F2FS, is it?
            Also, many installers don't even recognise F2FS, so i can't mount other paths to F2FS partitions.
            Bottom line:
            There's no easy way to do it, and not without compromises.
            And while that's not an issue for the F2FS developers to fix, it's the one feature i miss the most about it, and that i think i could really boost it's adoption.

Comment

That works, but it's not really booting from F2FS, is it?
              Also, many installers don't even recognise F2FS, so i can't mount other paths to F2FS partitions.
              Bottom line:
              There's no easy way to do it, and not without compromises.
              And while that's not an issue for the F2FS developers to fix, it's the one feature i miss the most about it, and that i think i could really boost it's adoption.
              I'd say it is. What does it matter if your kernel image is on FAT? These days you need the bootloader on EFI anyways.

Regarding other partitions/paths you can always set that up post-install.

Comment

Originally posted by arokh View Post
                I'd say it is. What does it matter if your kernel image is on FAT? These days you need the bootloader on EFI anyways.

Regarding other partitions/paths you can always set that up post-install.
                Most installers/distros don't support either, so you need to do it manually and it's annoying.

And I know the feeling because I use rEFInd graphical EFI boot manager instead of crappy text-only GRUB2 to boot from btfs RAID1.
                This setup is NOT possible when installing on any distro (excluding Arch/Gentoo due to obvious reasons), I had to install on a single volume without GRUB2, boot with SuperGrubDisk (a disk containing GRUB bootloader)to get in the linux system, then add a second btrfs volume to make a RAID1 and run a balance to move data over, and lastly run the rEFInd install script to install it and set EFI vars properly.

I mean, it's not impossible or even hard.

It's just.... very annoying.

Comment

Working...
                X