Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Might See Open-Source Support For Plustek Scanners

Phoronix: Linux Might See Open-Source Support For Plustek Scanners

After writing a few days ago about Fujitsu SP scanners getting Linux support but being only provided by binary blobs, a Phoronix reader pointed out that the Plustek scanner manufacturer is looking at providing open-source Linux driver support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow, Plustek makes high-end stuff, their main beef is company-grade hardware, and they say they have many customers on different linux distros asking for drivers.
    It does sound very weird, let's see if that engineer answers the requests of the SANE guy
    Code:
    Jenson- The SANE project certainly could accept your code for 
     inclusion into our repository, if a few conditions are met. Namely:  1. The code must be completely open and suitable for use with our license. No binary or precompiled code, other than possible firmware uploads. 2. The code must use our sanei_* libraries for things like usb or threading. It should not directly use libusb or any kernel modules, etc. 3. The code should be free from obvious security holes and bad programming practices like using gets() or mktemp(). 4. One or more members of your team need to join the SANE project so you can see user support requests on this mailing list and our bug tracker. 5. The code must build on other platforms that SANE supports, like the various BSD Unixes. Generally, this just requires not calling anything Linux specific.  Additionally, we prefer that all backends use our debugging library, so that an environment variable like SANE_DEBUG_PLUSTEK=10 could be used to enable user visible information from the backend.  If you and your management can accept those terms, the SANE project would be glad to have your help. Additionally, your users would benefit from having your drivers installed out of the box with their distro of choice.  Thanks for contacting us.  allan

Comment

and of course vBullshittin screws up formatting even if it is inside CODE brackets.
      Code:
      Jenson- The SANE project certainly could accept your code for
      inclusion into our repository, if a few conditions are met. Namely:

1. The code must be completely open and suitable for use with our
      license. No binary or precompiled code, other than possible firmware
      uploads.
      2. The code must use our sanei_* libraries for things like usb or
      threading. It should not directly use libusb or any kernel modules,
      etc.
      3. The code should be free from obvious security holes and bad
      programming practices like using gets() or mktemp().
      4. One or more members of your team need to join the SANE project so
      you can see user support requests on this mailing list and our bug
      tracker.
      5. The code must build on other platforms that SANE supports, like the
      various BSD Unixes. Generally, this just requires not calling anything
      Linux specific.

Additionally, we prefer that all backends use our debugging library,
      so that an environment variable like SANE_DEBUG_PLUSTEK=10 could be
      used to enable user visible information from the backend.

If you and your management can accept those terms, the SANE project
      would be glad to have your help. Additionally, your users would
      benefit from having your drivers installed out of the box with their
      distro of choice.

Thanks for contacting us.

allan

Comment

Man, I have some film to scan, it'd be a very easy decision to go with Plustek if they had drivers in SANE.

Comment

Originally posted by JensonChen;
          [url
          http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2016-November/034872.html][/url]
          Dear Team, We will provide all source code to meet your point 1. About 2,3,5, we need to review our source code first. I hope this suggestion can be work. About4, I think we can put a member to watch the bug, but not full time. Best Regards,Jenson 精益求精,超越卓越. A to A+

It seems the thread wasn't reviewed closely, as the taiwanese developer already replied. It really surprises me their very obvious English mistakes, but his "chinglish" is better than average.

It's really disappointing a company wants to support Open Source drivers, yet isn't going to put ONE DAMN full time developer. I'm sure they have a half even for MacOS only.

Why is this still happening? Open Source is a miracle, it works with this really pathetic support from companies...

Comment

I don't understand why scanners are regarded as problematic under Linux. Just scan something and let the result being sent as email attachement or some ftp upload. Most modern scanner support that. Whats the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              and of course vBullshittin screws up formatting even if it is inside CODE brackets.
              I wish I had seen your second post earlier, would have spared me reading the thing with the wrong formatting

Pretty interesting. I didn't know the company, it looks like they have some pretty good products... Why not, if they have some decent open source drivers. That's the way to go!

Comment

Originally posted by flockmock View Post
                I don't understand why scanners are regarded as problematic under Linux. Just scan something and let the result being sent as email attachement or some ftp upload. Most modern scanner support that. Whats the problem?
                Drivers. To do that, you need to be able to communicate with the scanner first, and you need a driver.
                And, open source drivers are better. I can't even think of a single advantage a proprietary driver might have over an open source one. (Ok, maybe I could find one, if the company is lazy, doesn't want to show its crap, or other, but not in a general, good case).

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
                  Drivers. To do that, you need to be able to communicate with the scanner first, and you need a driver.
                  You dont need specific linux drivers if the scanner is just sending the results per ftp or mail.

Comment

Originally posted by flockmock View Post

You dont need specific linux drivers if the scanner is just sending the results per ftp or mail.
                    I get what you mean, now. Unfortunately, It doesn't seem to me that it is the norm as of now (as I only regularly see big printers in corporate environments being able to do so). Not sure if it is a viable replacement for every use case, though. Plus, most of their scanners don't seem to have this functionality.

Comment

Working...
                    X