Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Troubleshooting audio over HDMI, how do you do it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troubleshooting audio over HDMI, how do you do it?

Before I start, let me explain my hardware.
    • The receiver that sits bewteen my computer and TV is a Pioneer VSX-527 (supports 1080p, HDMI 1.4a, ARC).
    • I have a partial 5.1 surround system connected to the receiver (no back speakers and no subwoofer, i.e. only the 3 front speakers).
    • I have two computers connected to the receiver through a HDMI 1.4a cable:
      • One Asus Zenbook UX31E.
      • One custom built server/HTPC (Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H, Intel Core i3 3225).
    • The server is running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, the laptop is running Ubuntu 16.10.

Now that that is out of the way, let me explain my problem.

First and foremost, the problem is a pure audio problem and it only occurs when using HDMI (I have no other speakers connected to the server, but the laptop works flawlessly when using its built-in speakers). I can start a video (in VLC, if that matters), and get both sound and 1080p video working just fine on both of the computers. Not every video manages to get audio working, but almost everyone does (more on that later, I have compiled a short list of what works and what does not). If I try to play a song (any song), still using VLC, I get no sound. None whatsoever. Zero, zip, zilch, nada.

Now here is the tricky part! If I start a video which manages to play some sounds, I can start a new VLC window and play the same song/video that previously couldn not play any sound on its own, on now they are both coming out of my speakers! I can then close down the first VLC window which was playing the original working audio, and the second media will continue playing on its own just fine (that is until the song is over). I can even get mpd and Spotify working using this trick, though I can not pause or switch songs (actually, mpd will switch songs sometimes without killing the audio), because then I have to go over the same procedure again.

I have been using different Linux distros the last ten years, and exclusively using Linux for the last seven years. I have had problems pop up during those years, and I managed to solve them all, but this one is different. I have googled, asked on Ubuntu Forums, but all to no avail. I would consider myself to be an experienced Linux user, but I literally have no idea where to start looking for the solution this time. I have a basic understanding of the audio stack, but not enough to actually come up with a solution.

So my question to you is this: How do you troubleshoot an audio problem of this kind? If anyone have a solution for me, then please go ahead and tell me, but I will be just as pleased if anyone can simply point me in the right direction. Should I ask my question on a mailing list, and if so which one?

Last but not least, I have compiled a short list of audio that is working and not working. I have examined the files using avprobe searching for any common denominator, and here the output for each of the files. First off is the audio that does work:
    Input #0, matroska,webm, from 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.mkv':
    Stream #0:1: Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), fltp, 448 kb/s (default)

Stream #0:1(eng): Audio: aac (HE-AAC), 48000 Hz, 5.1, fltp (default)

Stream #0:1(nor): Audio: mp2, 48000 Hz, stereo, s16p, 256 kb/s (default)

Input #0, avi, from 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.avi':
    Stream #0:1: Audio: mp3 (U[0][0][0] / 0x0055), 48000 Hz, stereo, s16p, 162 kb/s

Input #0, avi, from 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.avi':
    Stream #0:1: Audio: ac3 ([0] [0][0] / 0x2000), 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 160 kb/s

Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.mp4':
    Stream #0:1(und): Audio: aac (LC) (mp4a / 0x6134706D), 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 64 kb/s (default)
    And here is the list of the things that does not work (please note that the last one is one of the few video files that does not work):
    Input #0, flac, from 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.flac':
    Stream #0:0: Audio: flac, 44100 Hz, stereo, s16

Input #0, mp3, from 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.mp3':
    Stream #0:0: Audio: mp3, 44100 Hz, stereo, s16p, 231 kb/s

Input #0, mp3, from 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.mp3':
    Stream #0:0: Audio: mp3, 44100 Hz, stereo, s16p, 198 kb/s

Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.mp4':
    Stream #0:1(und): Audio: aac (LC) (mp4a / 0x6134706D), 44100 Hz, stereo, fltp, 128 kb/s (default)
    I can not find a common denominator, can you?

Unfortunately not. First and foremost, I am using Linux (Ubuntu) as I have mentioned. Furthermore, I'm able to play audio from most videos, and all audio by using the hack I described.

Comment

Working...
    X