X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by timofonic View Post
    Are there a good audio chip these days? And in SoCs?
    Sure, there are pretty bigass things like these http://www.digital852.com/collection...i-music-player which can play music at 384 kHz/32Bit for the dolphins or something.

But these being added now are either for embedded use (Nuvoton one, it's a mono DAC) or yet another respin of the same bullshit from Realtek that still gets raped by a PCI soundcard from 10 years ago.

Leave a comment:

• caligula
    replied
    Originally posted by microcode View Post

Maybe power management, audio chipset is culprit for a lot of power when it ought to be idle.
    I think the hardware is already "supported" through standard interfaces, but the new PM (and processing maybe?) features need additional software work perhaps.
    I've needed new drivers for each Intel HD Audio chipset since 2004. Apparently the PM is a seriously difficult task. Over 10 years of development and still needs improvements..

Leave a comment:

• microcode
    replied
    Originally posted by caligula View Post

I know right. I just keep wondering this really hard. I mean there must be some reason why they keep publishing new variants of the chips with totally new, incompatible drivers. I can imagine that people want better SNR, wider frequency response, lower latency, higher sampling rate, more bits, bigger buffers, lower power consumption. However, I already got 192 kHz/24b SPDIF with digital passthrough something like 15 years ago. Now, the latest chips are only able to do exactly the same. I don't know if the audio quality or features have improved at all during the last 15 years. What's the largest difference between Intel HD Audio in 2004 and in 2016?
    Maybe power management, audio chipset is culprit for a lot of power when it ought to be idle.
    I think the hardware is already "supported" through standard interfaces, but the new PM (and processing maybe?) features need additional software work perhaps.

Leave a comment:

• caligula
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Because newer is always better. /sarcasm
    I know right. I just keep wondering this really hard. I mean there must be some reason why they keep publishing new variants of the chips with totally new, incompatible drivers. I can imagine that people want better SNR, wider frequency response, lower latency, higher sampling rate, more bits, bigger buffers, lower power consumption. However, I already got 192 kHz/24b SPDIF with digital passthrough something like 15 years ago. Now, the latest chips are only able to do exactly the same. I don't know if the audio quality or features have improved at all during the last 15 years. What's the largest difference between Intel HD Audio in 2004 and in 2016?

Leave a comment:

• timofonic
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    No.
    Abandoned.
    Are there a good audio chip these days? And in SoCs?

Cherry Trail are part of the Atomized chips, there's no hope for them. Welcome to Intel, our Open Source overlords

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by caligula View Post
    Gah, why do we need a constant stream of new audio chips?
    Aren't the old good enough?
    No.
    What the status of Cherry Trail audio via hdmi at the moment?
    Abandoned.

Leave a comment:

• caligula
    replied
    Gah, why do we need a constant stream of new audio chips? Aren't the old good enough? What the status of Cherry Trail audio via hdmi at the moment? There are no new patches here https://github.com/plbossart/sound/b...?query=byt-cht

Leave a comment:

• Sound Updates For Linux 4.9: Skylake Audio Still Being Tuned

Phoronix: Sound Updates For Linux 4.9: Skylake Audio Still Being Tuned

Takashi Iwai sent in the sound subsystem updates for the Linux 4.9 kernel. This cycle there continues to be changes all over the place...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X