Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sound Updates For Linux 4.9: Skylake Audio Still Being Tuned

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sound Updates For Linux 4.9: Skylake Audio Still Being Tuned

    Phoronix: Sound Updates For Linux 4.9: Skylake Audio Still Being Tuned

    Takashi Iwai sent in the sound subsystem updates for the Linux 4.9 kernel. This cycle there continues to be changes all over the place...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-Sound-Updates

  • #2
    Gah, why do we need a constant stream of new audio chips? Aren't the old good enough? What the status of Cherry Trail audio via hdmi at the moment? There are no new patches here https://github.com/plbossart/sound/b...?query=byt-cht

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by caligula View Post
      Gah, why do we need a constant stream of new audio chips?
      Because newer is always better. /sarcasm
      Aren't the old good enough?
      No.
      What the status of Cherry Trail audio via hdmi at the moment?
      Abandoned.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        Because newer is always better. /sarcasm
        No.
        Abandoned.
        Are there a good audio chip these days? And in SoCs?

        Cherry Trail are part of the Atomized chips, there's no hope for them. Welcome to Intel, our Open Source overlords

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Because newer is always better. /sarcasm
          I know right. I just keep wondering this really hard. I mean there must be some reason why they keep publishing new variants of the chips with totally new, incompatible drivers. I can imagine that people want better SNR, wider frequency response, lower latency, higher sampling rate, more bits, bigger buffers, lower power consumption. However, I already got 192 kHz/24b SPDIF with digital passthrough something like 15 years ago. Now, the latest chips are only able to do exactly the same. I don't know if the audio quality or features have improved at all during the last 15 years. What's the largest difference between Intel HD Audio in 2004 and in 2016?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by caligula View Post

            I know right. I just keep wondering this really hard. I mean there must be some reason why they keep publishing new variants of the chips with totally new, incompatible drivers. I can imagine that people want better SNR, wider frequency response, lower latency, higher sampling rate, more bits, bigger buffers, lower power consumption. However, I already got 192 kHz/24b SPDIF with digital passthrough something like 15 years ago. Now, the latest chips are only able to do exactly the same. I don't know if the audio quality or features have improved at all during the last 15 years. What's the largest difference between Intel HD Audio in 2004 and in 2016?
            Maybe power management, audio chipset is culprit for a lot of power when it ought to be idle.
            I think the hardware is already "supported" through standard interfaces, but the new PM (and processing maybe?) features need additional software work perhaps.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by microcode View Post

              Maybe power management, audio chipset is culprit for a lot of power when it ought to be idle.
              I think the hardware is already "supported" through standard interfaces, but the new PM (and processing maybe?) features need additional software work perhaps.
              I've needed new drivers for each Intel HD Audio chipset since 2004. Apparently the PM is a seriously difficult task. Over 10 years of development and still needs improvements..

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                Are there a good audio chip these days? And in SoCs?
                Sure, there are pretty bigass things like these http://www.digital852.com/collection...i-music-player which can play music at 384 kHz/32Bit for the dolphins or something.

                But these being added now are either for embedded use (Nuvoton one, it's a mono DAC) or yet another respin of the same bullshit from Realtek that still gets raped by a PCI soundcard from 10 years ago.

                Comment

                Working...
                X