Reiser4 Implements Mirror & Failover Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
    Rename it already, it won't get any adoption until the name is shed.
    Renaming it would require common sense... something most techies seem to be devoid of these days. Those who aren't, they either moved into management or became something else.

Comment

Originally posted by MartinN View Post
      Renaming it would require common sense... something most techies seem to be devoid of these days. Those who aren't, they either moved into management or became something else.
      They sort of did rename it ... into btrfs. Only some chose to stay on the ReiserFS project willingly and to continue in giving support. They deserve to be respect for it.

So when you speak of common sense and what certain stereotypes can and cannot do, then perhaps giving a little bit of respect might already help.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
        They sort of did rename it ... into btrfs.

Comment

They sort of did rename it ... into btrfs. Only some chose to stay on the ReiserFS project willingly and to continue in giving support. They deserve to be respect for it.

So when you speak of common sense and what certain stereotypes can and cannot do, then perhaps giving a little bit of respect might already help.
          This -really- isn't about me. Sure, you can make this about me... or you can make it about why ReiserFS4 is likely never going to be merged into the mainline due to its sordid association to a convicted murderer. If a slight verbal jab on some public venue like Phoronix is required to prod these devs who are, as far as I'm concerned, wasting their time by working under that banner (Reiser.+), then so be it.

Of course I respect developers, I am a developer myself and I too have lacked common sense and still lack it sometimes. It's easier to see when others lack it though, than see it in myself. Now you've just alerted me that I too lacked it in my post - thank you very much for your valuable feedback.

Now let's get back to renaming ReiserFS to something else.

Comment

This -really- isn't about me. Sure, you can make this about me... or you can make it about why ReiserFS4 is likely never going to be merged into the mainline due to its sordid association to a convicted murderer.
            The main reason it wasn't merged (and it still won't) is that neither Reiser nor his team agreed to fix the issues the kernel mantainers asked, not the name.

Comment

Now let's get back to renaming ReiserFS to something else.
              I don't want to make this about you, but when you cannot live with the name then it's a problem with your head and nothing else.

Starshipeleven has it right. Technical reasons are a problem. Whatever problem you have shouldn't affect anybody else.

The idea itself is outdated. People will document the change. We are living in an age where attempts to cover up history by changing names in order to lose associations will certainly come back at you and bite you.

Comment

I don't want to make this about you, but when you cannot live with the name then it's a problem with your head and nothing else.
                Come on, stop covertly calling people stupid when they do things you don't like.

The idea itself is outdated. People will document the change. We are living in an age where attempts to cover up history by changing names in order to lose associations will certainly come back at you and bite you.
                hey hey stop there. None is asking to rename Auschwitz into "Happy Summer Camp".

If the current developers (while Reiser is still jailed) make some sweeping change (like say fixing shit so they can mainline it) they can change name fine.
                Like Owncloud --> Nextcloud or OpenWRT --> LEDE.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  Come on, stop covertly calling people stupid when they do things you don't like.
                  If I did call him stupid then it's because you think he is stupid. I have seen you insult people here on the forum a few times. You don't see me doing it. It's you.

Comment

If I did call him stupid then it's because I wrote "when you cannot live with the name then it's a problem with your head", and also "Whatever problem you have shouldn't affect anybody else."
                    fixed.

you think he is stupid.
                    No I don't, I also stated that a name change would be welcome.

I have seen you insult people here on the forum a few times.
                    I insult people when they deserve it, not just because they do something I personally disagree with but it is pretty much neutral stuff.
                    Also, I don't try to cover it with fancy words, because of honesty. If I think someone is a moron I call him moron, plain and simple, no word play to show off how inferior he is to me or something.

You don't see me doing it. It's you.
                    Your jedi mind tricks don't work on me, I'm Toydorian (Star Wars citation).

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      fixed. ... I insult people when they deserve it ... Your jedi mind tricks ...
                      I just can't take you serious.

Comment

Working...
                      X